Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev Review

Title: Eyes Like Stars
Author: Lisa Mantchev
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Theatre Illuminata, Act I
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Magical, gorgeous, and absolutely hilarious, Eyes Like Stars swept me up and held me captive until the very last page, especially the love triangle between Nate, Bertie, and Ariel--I can't wait to see what happens next!

Bertie Shakespeare Smith is a girl who lives in a theatre, surrounded by well-known characters: Ophelia from Hamlet, Ariel from The Tempest, and the mischievous fairies from A Midsummer Night's Dream, all destined to relive their plays again and again. They are her family, the only one she's ever known. But all that changes when the Theatre Manager tells Bertie she must leave to find her own place in the world, setting off a chain reaction of events--with Bertie right in the center, stuck between the dashing pirate Nate and the seductive, beautiful air spirit Ariel.

What I enjoyed:
-the beautiful, free-flowing poetry that was the narration
-The pacing--the book flew and I absolutely adored it
-Beatrice, and her spunky attitude, as well as her unrelenting desire to discover her past
-Nate, and his dashing pirate ways--it was so adorable to see him protecting Bertie!
-Ariel--he gave me the shivers at times
-The constant surprises--I cannot wait for Perchance to Dream and So Silver Bright!
-Most of the theatre staff
-I couldn't stop laughing, especially at the fairies
-The fairies
-Mrs. Edith
-Ophelia

What I did not enjoy:
-The Stage Manager
-Gertrude
-Hamlet
-Ariel, at times
-It reminded me a bit of Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor at the beginning, before it spun into its own plot
-Mr. Tibbs

I really, really adored this book--it was so much fun to read! I can't wait to read the last two. Recommended for those in love with theater, fantasy, or spunky heroines! Next on deck: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier!

Comments

Popular Posts