Waking Storms by Sarah Porter Review (Possible Spoilers! Beware!)

Title: Waking Storms
Author: Sarah Porter
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Lost Voices, book two
Star Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from the Kindle Unlimited Library and reviewed it.

Sarah Porter has beautiful writing--it's one of the things that drew me to her novels in the first place. Well. That and the promise of killer mermaids. I'm enchanted with her prose--it's absolutely gorgeous!--but this book. Gah. Where do I start?

This book picks up where Lost Voices left off, with Luce leaving her mermaid tribe, fraught with drama and rivalries, to seek out solitude on her own. And she finds it, for a while--until she receives word that the queen of her previous tribe is out for blood. And it gets even worse when Dorian, the lone survivor of a ship Luce and her tribe sank, seeks retribution. But when he and Luce fall for one another, she begins to hope all the more that her kind is meant for more than murder. Forced to confront her growing desire for love and her own dark yearnings, Luce wonders if she, of all people, may have to sacrifice everything to be a queen.

I'll start with the good stuff: I really enjoyed this sequel, at first--it really started out strong. And I loved Luce--I loved the way she evolved from the naive young mermaid of the first novel, into a young woman forced to make some very frightening (dare I say life-altering?) choices. I enjoyed the way Porter wove her prose, like a hypnotic web, unable to tear away from Luce and her troubles.

But then comes Dorian. And I like that Porter actually made a survivor a main character. But then, gasp! They fall in love, despite the circumstances in which they met! And I'm sure you know where it goes from there--I won't spoil it! Their relationship seemed a tad contrived, even for a young adult novel, and it seemed forced. I wasn't feeling it. I wish that it hadn't been so rushed. It just didn't feel realistic. And yeah, I know, this is a mermaid book, but still! Lol.

What I liked was the mermaid politics--really, when things got messy, that was the only thing keeping me going. I liked the new characters introduced, and I loved the way Porter provided some sort of closure for Luce's family. That really made me happy.

I liked the ending--that's pretty much the only thing that is making me read the rest of this series. The ending was explosive and a crazy cliffhanger, and I was happy with it. I'm looking forward to The Twice Lost. The bottom line: Though flawed somewhat, and though an instant relationship bloomed, I liked Waking Storms, and I'm looking forward to what's coming next. Next on deck: The Twice Lost by Sarah Porter!

Comments

Popular Posts