Unforgiven by Lauren Kate Review

Title: Unforgiven
Author: Lauren Kate
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Romance
Series: Fallen, book six
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Okay, so I'll start this review with some brutal honesty here: I really didn't like the Fallen series. Sucks, but it's the truth. Basically, Cambriel was the only character I really cared about in the whole thing--so imagine my delight when I discovered Unforgiven! He was my favorite character, and I was so excited to see the fallen angel's dark, angsty past. It was sort of separate from the whole series--a sort of standalone in the familiar universe of Kate's angels. Familiar characters, good and bad, also make an appearance throughout the book--some to help Cam, others to hinder him.

The pacing of Unforgiven was breakneck--I was completely spellbound by Cam's tragic love story, and his former paramour, Lilith. I also really liked the way the book kept switching from past to present, providing much-needed context about the couple. As I said previously, I loved Cam throughout the books, but it was kind of odd to see Cam in such a different light. It wasn't bad, mind you, it just took a little bit to get used to. I also really liked Lilith--her tough-as-nails, screw-you attitude, her tenacity in the face of near-constant adversity, as well as her unshakable dedication to the welfare of her mother and younger brother, Bruce. She makes a surprising, unexpected foil to Cam's bravado.

I loved all the characters in this novel too, new and old. It was so exciting to actually see Cam in the spotlight, and to get a front-seat view on how he fell, and how he became the sexy, compelling yet still so sad fallen angel we know and love today. It wasn't exactly what I expected, but it was a worthy addition to a series I felt kind of 'meh' about the whole time. Why couldn't the whole series be about Cam and Lilith again? The bottom line: A worthy sequel to the bestselling Fallen series, Unforgiven has something for everyone: romance, drama, and excitement. Next on deck: Carry On: The Rise and Fall of Simon Snow by Rainbow Rowell!

Comments

Popular Posts