Maestra by L.S. Hilton Review

Title: Maestra
Author: L.S. Hilton
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Series: Maestra, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Okay, so I have a confession to make: Mystery and thrillers are not my cup of tea, usually. I love them, don't get me wrong, but I always end up predicting them halfway through the novel, and then I give up. When I got the call that this book was in, I was so excited. I was nervous, but those thoughts went out the window the moment I began reading Maestra. I was absolutely mesmerized. Almost against my will, actually. Judith Rashleigh's story reaches out and grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go until the final page.

Judith Rashleigh is a young British woman, an assistant at one of London's top art houses. She is a woman who is unapologetically goes after what she wants, when she wants it. She doesn't hesitate to get a leg up on the rich people she works for, when she uncovers a secret scheme. Furious and humiliated, she turns to her old friend--Rage--to help her on her way to the top. As she becomes a top player in some of Europe's darkest dealings, she must decide what she is willing to risk to win it all.

What can I say? I just finished this novel and my feelings are mixed. This book, for me, was something of a guilty pleasure, in a sense. On the one hand, I was rooting Judith every step of the way on her dark journey. On the other, I was absolutely dumbfounded--this woman is just straight up nuts, what is going on?! I loved every crazy, dark, gory moment of this glorious tale of revenge. Judith herself is an antihero, a femme fatale straight out of a Bond movie--only without the Bond!

The bottom line: I loved this book--every insane, twisted moment of it. And when I realized that this book is the first in a projected trilogy, I was so happy and excited! I can't wait for the next two novels, and what L.S. Hilton has in store for us next!  Next on deck: Losing the Light by Andrea Dunlop!

Comments

Popular Posts