Ivory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh Review

Title: Ivory and Bone
Author: Julie Eshbaugh
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Historical Fiction
Series: Ivory and Bone, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Where do I even start with this book? The pitch for it was prehistorical fantasy with allusions to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice--and all of these things are true. But Ivory and Bone is also so much more than that--a coming of age story, a romance, and a complete literary breath of fresh air. I've never read anything like this book. I was kind of nervous about it because I didn't know exactly what to expect. But never fear, my friends, because now Julie Eshbaugh is one of my must-read authors of 2016!

I don't want to say much about the plot of Ivory and Bone--part of the fun is in the mystery of this book, but I'll try to sum it up as simply as possible. Kol and his clan hunt and gather, working to survive each year. When another clan comes to their shores, the camp is abuzz with hope, praying for an alliance. But when rumors abound and long-kept secrets are discovered, war begins to brew, with Kol right in the middle of it. Can he save his clan and stop the bloodshed, all the while trying to follow his heart?

I really enjoyed this book--it was unlike anything else I've ever read. It really stimulated my imagination, and was a wonderful story. I was pulled in immediately, and I couldn't let go until the final page. (It's been on my mind all week.) To say that this is one of my favorite books of the summer is a major understatement. It was almost entirely perfect--familiar elements of fiction mixed together with a unique story and unusual format to create something wholly original. Unfortunately, at times the whole romance angle seemed to take the focus of the book, and it kind of took away from the plot for me a little bit. Nonetheless, I look forward to more from Julie Eshbaugh! The bottom line: One of my favorite books of the summer, Ivory and Bone is an original, fantastic debut--absolutely amazing! Next on deck: Asking For It by Louise O'Neill!

Comments

Popular Posts