Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova Review

Title: Labyrinth Lost
Author: Zoraida Cordova
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Brooklyn Brujas, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I have a confession to make: I'd tried to read Cordova's first series--a young adult trilogy offering revolving around mermaids--and I wasn't into it. But when I saw the gorgeous cover for her first book this year, I just knew I had to get my hands on it. It's been sitting in my library stack for a while, begging to be read. And I figured, since it was Halloween, why not? (Plus, look at that gorgeous cover--I'm swooning over it!)

Labyrinth Lost begins with Alex, Alejendra, a bruja who wants nothing more than to be a normal kid. She can't stand her family's powerful magical legacy, and she desperately longs to be like everyone else, not the most powerful bruja her family has seen in centuries. When her Deathday approaches, she comes up with an idea: If the ancestors gave her her power, surely she could give it back? But her brilliant plan backfires when her family is swept away to the magical, mythical land of Los Lagos. Forced to trust a mysterious boy named Nova, Alex embarks on a quest to get her family back, and finds herself and who she really is in the process.

I loved this book--it was so good! The pacing was breakneck, the prose gorgeous and so funny I couldn't stop laughing as I read. It also doesn't hurt that this book contained magical quests, beautiful creatures, betrayal, and magic in every single chapter. It was by turns dark and frightening, but also original, creative, and exciting. The characters, too, really sold this for me--I loved Alex, and her unshakable love towards her family. Plus there was Nova, the bad boy with secrets of his own, and Rishi, Alex's best friend, who cares for her so much that she does the unthinkable for Alex. This book was so, so good--an entertaining and well-wrought Halloween romp that champions diversity--I can't wait for the sequel! Next on deck: The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst!

Comments

Popular Posts