Possession by Elana Johnson Review

Title: Possession
Author: Elana Johnson
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Dystopian Fiction
Series: Possession, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I bought this book and reviewed it.

I'm not even sure where to start with this review, honestly. To say that my feelings are mixed is a major understatement. Elana Johnson is one of my favorite authors, and she has been ever since I read the first book in her other dystopian series, Elemental Hunger. Although I liked Possession, for the most part, it just fell short for me. Maybe it was just a little bit too late to the dystopian fiction party? I can't quite put my finger on it, but Possession was just meh. Just okay. I liked some aspects of it, but others just fell really flat.

Violet lives in a world where there is no sickness, no crime. It is a world that is near perfect. But Violet longs for something more, for something different. Other. Contentment is far away, even though she is Matched to her best friend, sweet and gentle Zenn. She rebels against The Thinkers who control her world, even when it means teaming up with the enigmatic bad boy Jag, who, despite her relationship to Zenn, is irresistibly drawn to her. Forced to make an irreversible choice: join the Thinkers, or flee to the Badlands, Violet discovers that there are dark secrets hiding in her past and future, and everything she thought she knew turns out to be a lie...

Like I said, I have very mixed feelings about this book. I wanted to love it, and I did love some of it. Violet, for the most part, was a really relatable character, and I enjoyed her deep and complex character development. But I feel like that was almost cheapened by the love triangle angle--it really bothered me that most of the book revolved around Violet picking a boy to be with. The worldbuilding was also pretty hard to wrap my head around, I didn't really get it. Honestly, the thing that saved this book was the pacing and the ending--that's pretty much the only thing that would get me to continue the series. It was a good attempt at a dystopian series debut, but it fell really short. I wish I'd borrowed this book from my local library instead of buying it. The bottom line: A valiant attempt at a dystopian series debut, Possession, for the most part, fell short. Next on deck: The Restaurant Critic's Wife by Elizabeth LaBan!

Comments

Popular Posts