Alex and Eliza by Melissa de la Cruz Review

Title: Alex and Eliza: A Love Story
Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Historical Fiction/Romance
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

Okay, so I'll admit it: Part of the reason this book nabbed my attention because of Hamilton. I've never listened to the soundtrack, but I just love Lin Manuel-Miranda. But de la Cruz won my heart with her book, Isle of the Lost, and when I heard she was writing a romance novel with Alexander Hamilton and Eliza Schuyler at its center, I was gone. Completely sold. I was happily, pleasantly surprised. I've only recently gotten into the romance genre, so this was lovely. I don't know if it's necessarily historically accurate, but I enjoyed it immensely nonetheless. A love story forming in the thick of The American Revolution, it captivated me totally, making me laugh and cry and cheer and scream in frustration. I loved de la Cruz's interpretation of these historical figures, as well as many of the supporting characters! One of my favorite books of 2017, hands down. It was just so much fun!

Eliza Schuyler is the middle sister, bookish and sharp-tongued, the brightest of three, and she longs to do something to help her country, fighting for its independence from Great Britain. But when she meets Alexander Hamilton at a ball, a relationship begins, one fraught with miscommunication, laughter, and genuine romance. The camp-de-aide and the general's daughter draw close, despite the many odds stacked against them, and they must decide what they are willing to sacrifice for each other.

I loved this book. I haven't been a real romance fan until recently, and this was a pure love story, to the core. It also didn't hurt that I've always been a hardcore historical fiction, and The Revolutionary War is a period in history that I've done extensive research on. So some of the elements were familiar about that aspect of things. But I really, really loved the clever banter between Eliza and her sisters, and the dashing, rakish Hamilton. The prose and pacing had me laughing, crying, cringing, screaming. This book was a wild, joyful ride through history, albeit one with several embellishments. I'm definitely going to do research into the figures that inspired it! The bottom line: Melissa de la Cruz has penned another winner in Alex and Eliza, a tender, romantic love story rooted in history! What a fun book! Next on deck: The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson!

Comments

Popular Posts