The Love Interest by Cale Dietrich Review

Title: The Love Interest
Author: Cale Dietrich
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Adventure/Romance
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I found this book as a recommendation for the month of May, and it's been sitting in my library stack for a while now. When I realized that I didn't have any more renewals left on it, I put it to the top of the stack, not wanting to return it before I had a chance to experience it. And to be honest, I have some mixed feelings, hence four stars instead of all five. Nonetheless, though, The Love Interest was an entertaining, fun romp of a spy thriller with a gay twist! The world-building was kind of wonky and unclear, but overall, I really enjoyed this brand new twist on the classic boy-meets-girl, boy-wins girl plot. An entertaining, hilarious tale that had me laughing, crying, and fanning myself, more than once, The Love Interest is easily one of my favorite books of 2017!

Caden and Dylan are not exactly ordinary; in fact, both of them have been specially trained to be Love Interests, spies whose sole purpose is to win a girl who will gain a powerful position in the world when she grows up. The only catch? The man who doesn't get the girl dies. But things begin to grow even more complicated when the two boys start to fall for each other, wanting more than what the Love Interest Compound has in store for them. Their Chosen, Juliet, is an amateur scientist, and she's longing for love as well. But Caden and Dylan must decide what they are willing to sacrifice in order to win the game, or it could mean losing for both of them...

I really liked this book! It wasn't perfect, and there were some small kinks with the world-building, but I enjoyed it a lot nonetheless. I was laughing, crying, and swooning, often right after the other. Plus, because of James Bond, I'm a total sucker for spy books. And this was a fresh, new one with gay main characters! I was so on board it's not even funny. The pacing was breakneck, the prose by turns hilarious, beautiful, and tender. And oh my God, the chemistry between Dylan and Caden! Definitely one of my favorite parts of the book, if not the one. And the banter in this book! I was dying. Between the banter, the knee-weakening romance, and the pop culture reference, I really loved The Love Interest. In fact, I love it so much that I finished it within a day and a half. The supporting characters won my heart as much as Caden and Dylan themselves. The only real problems I had with it were that the world-building was weird and kind of vague, and the ending seemed really open-ended, but it didn't really answer any of my questions? Still, it was a solid, funny debut novel that I really liked, and I'm glad I was able to read it before I had to take it back to the library! The bottom line: A sexy spy thriller that turns the traditional love-triangle trope on its head, The Love Interest had me laughing, crying, and swooning--I can't wait for more from Cale Dietrich! Next on deck: Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts