Little Monsters by Kara Thomas Review

Title: Little Monsters
Author: Kara Thomas
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I found Little Monsters the way I usually find my library books; a recommendation. It's been sitting in my library stack for a few weeks now and after some rearranging, it sat at the top of the stack, beckoning me with its curiously colorful, ominous cover. And what better thing to read in preparation for Halloween, but a twisty, taut thriller that had me on the edge of my seat? Normally I'm leery about thrillers because usually, I can predict the ending/killer before the book is half over. But Little Monsters surprised me in the best kinds of ways, and it's become one of my favorite novels of 2017. Dark, thoughtful, and genuinely frightening, I devoured this book in two and a half days, until the shocking, explosive conclusion. Kara Thomas has become one of my new favorite authors with this hair-raising, creepy thriller!

Kacey Young is a girl that doesn't fit in, with her messy family situation. After a feud with her volatile mother, she moves to Broken Falls, Wisconson, to live with her distant father. Alone in her new, wintry surroundings, Jade and Bailey take her under their wings. They are a tight-knit trio who do everything together. But when Kacey isn't invited to the biggest party of the year, she can't shake the feeling that something is wrong. That feeling only worsens when Bailey disappears. Forced to dig deep into Broken Falls's history and the rich, dark inner lives of its residents, Kacey realizes that she can't trust anyone and that Bailey's disappearance may be closer to home than she could've ever realized...

This book was so much fun! From the unusual format, revealing Bailey's mysterious motivations between chapters, to the breakneck pacing, and the constant red herrings, Little Monsters has restored my spotty love for the mystery/thriller genre. I devoured it in a short, frenzied two and a half days, and even when I wasn't reading, the grim, chill setting of Broken Falls seeped into my mind, sending my mind spinning in circles. It also helps that I have a special love for friendships gone bad stories, especially teenage girl friendships gone bad. I was captivated, and I couldn't figure out who did it until the end. Even then, I wasn't expecting it; the ending had me screaming in shock! Kacey's terse, tight narration kept ratcheting up the tension, and even when I was finished, I was still reeling. If you're looking for a good mystery because you don't want to be done with Halloween, (and I count myself among that number) you should definitely check out Little Monsters! The bottom line: Secrets, lies, gossip, and poisonous jealousy all combine in a lethal cocktail in Kara Thomas's sophomore novel! One of the best thrillers of 2017! Next on deck: Invictus by Ryan Graudin!

Comments

Popular Posts