The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee Review

Title: The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue
Author: Mackenzi Lee
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Historical Fiction/Romance
Series: Guide, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I’ll be honest; this book has been on my list since before it came out. I’ve checked it out from the library a few times and had to return it, but when I saw it sitting on a shelf at my local library, I snatched it up, eager to read it. I went through a slight slump before I began this book, so when nothing was working, I decided to pick this up, and boy, am I glad I did! This book was so much more than I was expecting. It was a historical fiction romp that was unlike anything I’ve ever read, full of adventure, forbidden romance, and so much humor and tenderness I was alternately between laughing and crying. This book is one of my most recent favorites, and I’m so happy that there’s a sequel coming out in October, about one of my favorite characters, Monty’s little sister, Felicity! I can’t help but feel sad and disappointed that it’s over—October seems so far away from now!
Henry Montague, or ‘Monty’, as he’s called by his friends, is like every other young gentleman his age. Well, sort of. His father despairs of him, that he’s more concerned with drinking, gambling, and bedding beautiful people (both lads and lasses!). So his father sends him away on a Tour of the Continent, with the stipulation he return and be a functioning individual of society. But when Monty’s plans go wildly awry due to some reckless, rakish behavior, he finds himself on a grand adventure straight out of a fanciful novel, on the run from a vicious nobleman who longs for revenge, all the while fighting his forbidden attraction to his best friend, Percy. His little sister, Felicity, longs to be a doctor despite being sent to finishing school, and the trio find themselves on a journey spanning countries, avoiding highwaymen and pirates on the way.


This book was really exciting, surprising, and enjoyable; it was a new kind of historical fiction that I wasn’t accustomed to. It was a funny, hilarious, and romantic adventure across time and continents, and I was crying, laughing, swooning, and cheering all the while. This is the first book I’ve ever read by Mackenzi Lee, and it definitely won’t be the last; I loved every moment of this book, and I can’t wait for the sequel in October! The pacing was breakneck, and I was immediately drawn into the book; I loved Monty’s voice, and his narration was spot on. It was also refreshing that he was bisexual, I haven’t read many books with a male bisexual main character. The romance between Monty and Percy had me swooning and groaning in turns; the slow-burn romance between them was one of my favorite parts of the book. Felicity was also one of my favorite characters; her spunk and wit had me laughing, crying, and cheering in triumph; I’m so excited that she’ll be getting her own book later this year! This book has to be one of my favorites of 2017, and I really enjoyed the ending! Easily one of the best books I’ve read recently, and it busted right through my reading slump! What a lovely, hilarious, and romantic romp of a book! The bottom line: A gorgeously written, hilarious and romantic romp through the eighteenth century, I loved The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue! Next on deck: Out of the Blue by Sophie Cameron!

Comments

Popular Posts