Bookish Boyfriends by Tiffany Schmidt Review

Title: Bookish Boyfriends: A Date with Darcy
Author: Tiffany Schmidt
Genre: Contemporary Fiction/Romance
Series: Bookish Boyfriends, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I’ve had my eye on this book for a while; the first time that I borrowed it from the library I decided to return it because I didn’t have enough room in my stack at the time. So when I saw it sitting on the shelf, I snatched it up. I’ve never read any of Tiffany Schmidt’s work prior to this series debut, but I can assure you all that I will be seeking out more of her work as soon as possible. This book was a very pleasant surprise; I picked it up expecting a funny, light romp into classic literature and first love. And it was, but it was also a lot more substantial than I expected it to be. Feminist, funny, and smart, I loved A Date with Darcy, and I can’t wait for more from this hilarious, promising new series! One of my favorite books of 2018, and it was the perfect antidote to the two heavy, emotional reads I had before it.

Merrilee Campbell firmly holds the belief that boys are always better in books. But that doesn’t stop her from longing for the ultimate love story in real life. Upon a transfer to Hero High with her best friend, Eliza, and her little sister, Rory, she meets Monroe Stratford and is certain that the romance she craves has finally come true. But when Monroe gets demanding, possessive, and clingy, she is forced to rethink on what she really wants in a guy. Things are further complicated by the appearance of Fielding Williams, the infuriating headmaster’s son, to whom Merri has an irresistible attraction, even though she can’t stand him. Drawing on the literature she learns about in her class, she starts to see that a romance straight out of the books may not be for her after all. Other issues pepper Merri’s life: her older sister is getting married to a real-life Ken doll, her younger sister is having trouble keeping up with the rigorous new coursework, and Eliza’s parents, brilliant scientists, are gone for months at a time. But Merri must decide what she really wants, from romance and her own life.

As I said, this book was a really pleasant surprise! I was expecting fluff, nothing really meaningful, but this book really proved me wrong. Sure, it was stuffed to the brim with romance, but it was also smart and funny and full of literary references that had me constantly laughing! I really liked the pacing; it started out at a brisk clip, and I really enjoyed Merrilee’s bright, vivacious voice, though it didn’t hurt that she was a major bookworm, just like this girl! I also really liked Merri’s bright, loving family, especially her parents and sisters; they provided a great foil to Merri’s dreamy whimsy. Eliza, too, was a really fun character; I liked how she tried to ground Merri when her imagination ran away with her (which was often). I honestly didn’t like any of the boys in the book, except for Fielding and Toby. Monroe was just so obnoxious and annoying! I wish that Merri had given him the boot earlier. I really enjoyed the ending, too; both romance wise and what Merri decided to do with her life. I really hope that there’s more to come, because this book was the perfect palate cleanser after heavy novels, full of serious issues and emotion! The bottom line: Funny, thoughtful, feminist and romantic, I loved Bookish Boyfriends, and I can’t wait for the next installment! Next on deck: The Neverending Story by Michael Ende!

Comments

Popular Posts