The Edge of Everything by Jeff Giles Review

Title: The Edge of Everything
Author: Jeff Giles
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Edge of Everything, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

When I finished The Merciless, I dove into The Edge of Everything, not knowing exactly what to expect. It’s been on my library stack for a while, and I wanted to add another creepy, spooky book to the list. The Edge of Everything is a unique, hilarious, thought-provoking and romantic series starter, and I really enjoyed it. It was urban fantasy at its finest, and I’m really excited about The Brink of Darkness, even though I have to say that the instalove between the two main characters kind of turned me off a little bit. This is the first book I’ve read by Jeff Giles, and it definitely won’t be my last!

Zoe Bissell lost her father in an awful caving accident a few years ago, and she and her family still haven’t recovered from the loss or the weight of their grief. After a violent, unexpected snowstorm sweeps through her town, her life is changed forever, upon meeting a mysterious yet compelling young man she calls X. Blessed with superstrength, speed, and the dark and deadly power to kill, she learns that he hails from an awful place called The Lowlands, and that he hunts bounties for those in that realm who hold power. Drawn together by X’s destiny and Zoe’s losses, they soon are in orbit of one another, despite the mounting forces on both sides that are conspiring against them. Then X gets the opportunity to right everything and walk away from a life of brutality that he never chose, but there’s a significant snag: the last soul that he must collect is one that he never expected. Zoe, in turn, must face the secrets that lurk in the darkness of her family, even when it means risking everything she’s ever known.


As I said, there were some parts of this book I liked, and others that definitely needed polishing. The relationship was believable, for the most part, though at the beginning it was really rushed. There are few tropes that really turn me off, and instalove is one of them. But nonetheless, this book was really solid. There were several different elements that I enjoyed; particularly the worldbuilding and humor. But the characters and the pacing were what really sold this book for me. The new spin on classic tropes really made it unique; I liked all of the characters and really enjoyed the ending. I laughed, I cried, and I’m so excited for what comes next! The bottom line: Hilarious, thought-provoking, and romantic, I really liked The Edge of Everything! The bottom line: Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor!

Comments

Popular Posts