The Deepest Roots by Miranda Abesedo Review

Title: The Deepest Roots
Author: Miranda Asebedo
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Magical Realism
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I found this book through a book recommendation list, and it had been sitting in my library stack for a while. Once I realized that I couldn’t renew it anymore, I put it at the top of my stack, starting it as soon as I finished Soulstealer. I was even more excited when the author began to follow me on Instagram; unfortunately, I couldn’t get a picture, because I had to return both it and Soulstealer back to the library before I could get decent lighting. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but this book was a great reminder of how much I love the magical realism subgenre. Quickly paced, beautifully written, suspenseful and more than a little haunting, The Deepest Roots is one of my favorite books of 2018, and I can’t wait for more from this talented debut author!
                
Cottonwood Hollow, Kansas, is a strange place, some say even cursed. For the past one hundred years, each girl born in its boundaries has been gifted with a special, unique talent. Best friends Rome, Lux, and Mercy all have similar talents, but most of the time, they feel like curses. Rome is a Fixer, but being able to fix the things she touches won’t help her mom out with the climbing bills, and she refuses to confide in Lux and Mercy about what’s going on at home. But it turns out Rome isn’t the only one hiding secrets behind closed doors, for Lux’s home life is crumbling, even as she struggles to stay strong.  But an even more pressing mystery begins to mount: Why are the young women in Cottonwood Hollow cursed? What caused it? Finding the answers she craves just might mean risking everything, even her closest friends.


                This book was such a lovely surprise! It kind of was a mashup, for me, of Practical Magic and The Goonies, though that sounds like a really weird comparison. The writing was sparse but beautiful, and I was immediately entranced by the stark beauty of Cottonwood Hollow. The pacing was breakneck, and Rome’s voice was hypnotic and wry and quick to the point. I really liked the way that the town’s powers were incorporated into the story; it tied really well together. But my favorite part of the book was the close, tender friendship of Rome, Lux, and Mercy; all three girls were different, but I feel like they really complemented each other with their individual character traits. I also enjoyed the other characters, especially Red, Rome’s mother, Jett, and Mercy’s tightknit, loving family. At times, all of the different characters were difficult to follow, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. My favorite part was the mystery of it all, trying to figure out just what was going on in the strange little town of Cottonwood Hollow. I really liked the ending, also; it really tied everything else together. The Deepest Roots is a heartfelt, tender and beautifully written exploration of friendship, family, and being comfortable with yourself, even when it seems the odds are stacked against you. The bottom line: Dark, true, beautifully written, and heartfelt, I loved The Deepest Roots, and I can’t wait for more from this promising, talented debut author! Next on deck: Not Even Bones by Rebecca Schaeffer!

Comments

Popular Posts