Black Wings Beating by Alex London Review

Title: Black Wings Beating
Author: Alex London
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Skybound, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

                I was browsing the shelves of my local library a few weeks ago, having had a few openings in my stack, and found Black Wings Beating on a shelf, untouched. The stark gray and black cover, adorned with the picture of a flock of black birds in flight, captivated me. I was so curious about the story inside that I took it home with me that night. As soon as I was finished with The Wicked King, I pushed it to the top of my stack and devoured it in two days. Alex London has penned a beautiful, thought-provoking, brutal series debut that grabbed me by the throat and didn’t let go until after the book was closed. I loved it; it’s definitely one of my favorite books of last year. I can’t wait for the sequel!

                Twin siblings Kylee and Brysen both long for different things: Brysen wants to be a master falconer, and find someone who truly loves him, but even more than that, he hungers for fame and glory. His sister, Kylee, wants to leave The Six Villages far behind and live on her own, free to make her own choices. But everything changes when Brysen offers to go catch a ghost eagle, the deadliest of all the birds of prey. Unwilling to let her brother embark on this dangerous quest alone, she finds herself trapped in a deadly web of intrigue, secrets, and war. The two siblings must decide if they’re ready to give up everything, even one another, in order to complete their quest successfully, but war is brewing on the horizon, and they must ready for battle…


                I really enjoyed this book! It had everything that I love in a fantasy novel: fantastic worldbuilding, fierce, rich characters, breakneck pacing, intrigue and secrets, forbidden love and war! My favorite part, though, in this book, were the falcons. I was absolutely spellbound by that part of the story. I loved Kylee and Brysen; they were like two sides of the same coin, fiercely devoted to one another but also trying to find their own way outside of each other. The different points of view throughout the book offered some much-needed perspective on the events happening. This book haunted even my dreams, and when I wasn’t reading it, I was thinking about it, anxious to get back to it. The pacing was so sharp and quick, and if I wasn’t laughing or crying, I was cheering. This book is one that I’ve been waiting for my whole life. The ending was absolutely insane! My jaw hit the floor, I cannot wait until the next book comes out in September! The bottom line: A lush, dark and gorgeous fantasy, I loved Black Wings Beating, and I can’t wait for the next book! Next on deck: The Boneless Mercies by April Genevieve Tucholke! 

Comments

Popular Posts