Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid Review

Title: Daisy Jones and the Six
Author: Taylor Jenkins Reid
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I’ve been hearing about Daisy Jones and the Six for months now, and on impulse, I ordered it from my local library. Much to my delighted surprise, I was lucky enough to receive my own library’s copy the same day it arrived! This book was unusual, but gritty, heartfelt, and deep; I loved it. The format initially threw me off; it was more like reading a dossier or a movie script rather than a novel. But honestly, once I got past that, I really enjoyed it. It was like the author used the implosion of the international musical sensation, Fleetwood Mac, and used it as inspiration for this raw, emotional novel, complete with original music and song lyrics! I was swept away by this novel, and I can’t wait to read more of Reid’s superstar work. Daisy and the Six has become one of my favorite books of 2019!

Daisy Jones and the Six took the world by storm when they debuted in the late 70s and early 80s. They were an international sensation, with the magnetic, sultry Daisy Jones headlining alongside Billy Dunne, a moody guitarist and songwriter. But at the height of their popularity, the band split and fractured. No one knows why… Until now. Going deep into each band member’s mind and psyche, the author uses documents and in-depth interviews to get the real story. Full of music, drugs, alcohol, and of course, rock and roll, we are given a front row seat to the band and their family members as they reveal what really happened the night of the final split.


This book was fantastic. I devoured it in a little under three days. There were nearly a hundred holds on it at my local library, so as soon as I was finished with The Afterward, I pushed it to the top of my stack. The format threw me off a little bit; I didn’t really know to expect, but it really fit the mood of the novel. It felt like I was reading a juicy celebrity tell-all, even though I knew that it was all fiction. It brought to mind one of my favorite eras of music: the 60s and 70s. It also reminded me of one of my favorite bands: Fleetwood Mac. The format meant the pacing was breakneck, and one of my favorite parts was that we got the view point of every single person involved: managers, band members, Daisy, Billy, and the rest of the band. It was so detailed, and it felt like I was really there! And that ending! Oh, my goodness, I didn’t expect it at all. This is my first time reading Taylor Jenkins Reid’s work, but I can promise it won’t be the last! This searing, sexy novel stole my heart and bewitched my imagination, and I loved every moment of it! The bottom line: Daisy Jones and the Six was a rich, exciting novel about one of my favorite musical eras: the 60s and 70s! Told in an interview and dossier style, I loved it! One of the best books of 2019! Next on deck: Love and Luck by Jenna Evans Welch!

Comments

Popular Posts