Ghosts of the Shadow Market by Cassandra Clare Review


Title: Ghosts of the Shadow Market
Author(s): Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan, Maureen Johnson, Kelly Link, and Robin Wasserman
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Romance
Series: Ghosts of the Shadow Market, 1-10
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

                Cassandra Clare is one of my favorite authors; I’ve been wanting to read this set of short stories since they came out last year in ebook format. I had to return this once and I was so intrigued over it I went back and reordered it. Ghosts of the Shadow Market contains ten stories that all take place in the Shadowhunter universe, starting in the 1800s and going all the way to the present. It follows Jem Carstairs, the man who became The Silent Brother, Brother Zachariah. Jem is one of my very favorite characters, so to follow him through the years was a real treat. Honestly, this book might be my favorite of all of Clare’s work thus far; I laughed, I cried, and I was so excited for all the Easter eggs that Clare and all the other authors put in the book for fans of the previous books. This short story collection is quite possibly my favorite, and not the least of which because of its frontman! There are ten stories, so for clarity’s sake, I’ll write about the standouts and give an overall rating for the whole book. The four other authors did a fantastic job of fleshing out the gaps that Clare left in all of the other books; this short story collection is one I’d love to have in my own personal library.

                Every Exquisite Thing: 4 out of 5 Stars. I loved this story! This book begins chronologically, from the 1880s to the present. In this one, Jem finds out the truth about his wife, Tessa, and her demonic origins that made her a warlock. All of these stories made me cry to some extent, but this was one of the worst ones. It was fast-paced, dark, and surprising; that ending had my jaw on the floor. Absolutely fantastic! Told with signature flare and aplomb, I really enjoyed it!

                A Deeper Love: 5 out of 5 Stars. This story was one of my favorites, as it centered on my OTP, or one true pairing, Will, Tess, and Jem. I loved The Infernal Devices, and so when they made an appearance, I was so very happy! I loved the way this story explored their relationship with each other, and the way that they eventually met again, so many years later. It was painful, exquisite, lovely, and it made me cry, in the best way. It was wonderful, and made me ache. This whole collection did, to be totally truthful, but especially this entry.

                Son of the Dawn: 5 out of 5 Stars. I’ve been waiting forever to actually read how it was that Jace Wayland ended up with the Lightwood family as a child. So, this story made me so happy! I loved reading this story, seeing how Jace enmeshed into the family threads of them. Found family has always been an important concept to me, both in fiction and my life, so this story struck a deep chord with me. I loved every bittersweet, loving moment of this story. Beautiful, tender, and realistic, I loved it so much. One of my favorites of the whole collection.

                The Land I Lost: 5 out of 5 Stars. This story was my favorite of the collection, hands down. I loved the way it put emphasis on another of my OTPs, Magnus Bane and Alec Lightwood! I’d long been wondering how Rafael was added to their cozy little family unit, and I loved the way it showed the love between them. Alec and Magnus are called by Jem and Tessa for assistance, and the pair go meet up in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Faced with a broken Institute and corrupt Shadowhunters serving the new Clave, Alec is determined to save the Downworlders living there. His path crosses with one of a little Shadowhunter boy, orphaned after The Dark War. Magnus and Alec discover something entirely new across the globe, and I loved it. I loved it. So much. I cried, giggled, and laughed. By the time I was through, my heart felt like a hot air balloon. Easily my favorite in the entire collection. And, last but not least,

                Forever Fallen: 5 out of 5 Stars. I hesitate to even outline the plot points of this story, because Queen of Air and Darkness spoilers! I don’t specifically know anyone who hasn’t read it, but I don’t want to ruin it for anyone. HOLY CRAP, YOU GUYS ARE REALLY GONNA END IT ON THAT NOTE?! Like I wasn’t afraid and anxious before. I need to know what’s going to happen next! It’s been almost four days and I’m still stunned; I can still feel it like a punch to the chest. Cassandra Clare, you really do love to leave things on awful cliffhangers. The bottom line: This beautiful, long-awaited collection of short stories is quite possibly my favorite of all of Clare’s work, and just thinking about the way it all ended has got me antsy. I loved it so much! Next on deck: Vicious by V.E. Schwab!

Comments

Popular Posts