The Lady Rogue by Jenn Bennett Review


Title: The Lady Rogue
Author: Jenn Bennett
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Historical Fiction/Horror
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

                Okay, so I’ll start this review with a confession: This is the first book I’ve ever read by Jenn Bennett. I’ve been meaning to read her first two books, so when I heard about The Lady Rogue, I reserved it at my local library as soon as I possibly could. I picked it up, and it’s been sitting at the top of my library stack, waiting for me to read it. As soon as I was finished with Wayward Son, I dove in, not sure what to expect. I loved this third novel, and I can’t wait to see what Bennett has up her sleeve next! This book was amazing: full of adventure, danger, and terrifying secrets, and it also had a healthy dose of historical myth and swooning romance added in. I mean, all I needed to hear to be on board with this was: Vlad the Impaler! Vampires! Spies! Best friends turned to lovers! Some of the language seemed a bit too modern for the time period for me, but aside from that, I very much enjoyed this wonderful book! I can’t wait to see what Bennett does next!

                Theodora ‘Theo’ Fox is a young woman unlike any other: She can speak multiple languages, crack all sorts of codes, and she knows about as much about history as her famous explorer father, Richard. After a highly embarrassing incident, Theo is confined to a hotel in Marrakesh with an insufferable governess. When she discovers that her father has gone missing chasing after an enchanted ring said to belong to Vlad The Impaler, she becomes determined to find him, no matter how far across the globe she must travel. To further complicate matters, she runs into Huck, her father’s former ward and her former best friend—maybe something more than that? Forced to team up with someone she never thought she’d see again, Theo finds herself entangled in a dark, dangerous web of magic, intrigue, and danger, and discovers that the answers she is searching for might be closer than she could’ve ever imagined…

                Overall, I greatly enjoyed this book! Some of the language seemed a bit too modern for the setting and time period, but nonetheless, this story was a rip-roaring, brainy adventure with dark secrets and a hidden romance at its center. I loved almost everything about it; it reminded me of why I love adventure stories so much. The pacing was breakneck, and I loved Theo’s voice, intelligent, stubborn, and determined. I also adored the historical aspect of the novel; Vlad the Impaler and a magical ring? It sounded amazing! But I think my favorite part of this novel was the romance between Huck and Theo, especially after so many years apart from one another. I loved the way that they butt heads and were so stubborn with each other. I loved all the twists and turns, the spies and political intrigue and dark magic that may or may not have been real. One of the best parts of this book was watching Theo transform from a petty, petulant child to a no-nonsense, not take no for an answer adult who wasn’t afraid to go after what she wanted. And that ending—it was wonderful! This is certainly my first book by Jenn Bennett, but I can promise you it will not be my last! The bottom line: Thrilling, romantic, exciting and dark, I loved The Lady Rogue! Next on deck: Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks!

Comments

Popular Posts