Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian Review

 Title: Half Sick of Shadows 

Author: Laura Sebastian 


Age Group: Adult 


Genre: Fantasy 


Series: Standalone 


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars 


This book was my Book of the Month selection for the month of June 2021. 


TW: Suicide, suicidal ideation, death, gore. If any of these things trigger you, I would suggest not reading this book; your mental health matters! 


King Arthur has always held a special place in my imagination, from the time that I was a little girl. An era of honor, chivalry, magic and danger, I always imagined myself to be part of King Arthur’s court. Half Sick of Shadows tells the story of Elaine Atsolat, a powerful Seer. The story of Arthur, and Camelot, is, in fact, hers. I’ve never seen this popular legend from the point of view of a woman before, and it was really refreshing to see this new spin on a classic story. The pacing was breakneck, the writing lyrical and spellbinding, but what I loved most of all were the different characters: Elaine, shy and sweet and deathly afraid of her new power, Lancelot, the young, half-fey knight that wants to win her heart, the scheming, deceitful Morgause and Mordred, and Arthur, the reluctant king, and his magic-wielding sister, Morgana; Gwen, his young lover who has secrets of her own to hide. Will Elaine be able to save her friends, or will the newly united kingdoms of Albion and Camelot fall to ruin? 


This is the first book I’ve ever read by Laura Sebastian, and I can guarantee that this won’t be my last. I was immediately spellbound by Elaine’s voice, frank and real and raw. Despite the triggers, this book was such a fully-realized feat that I really enjoyed it. The pacing was breakneck, and I found myself holding my breath as I read more than once. I adored the characters; they were all so well-drawn. I really felt for Elaine; to be a Seer would, to me, sounds like it would be an awful burden. Full of magic, power, and dangerous secrets, I couldn’t put this book down, and it held me by the throat long after the last page. I’ve read the poem telling of The Lady of Shalott, but not until now has she received the main-character treatment. I adored this book, full of bloody battles, magical pacts, and political intrigue; I’m so glad that I chose this book as my Book of the Month! And that ending! Even though I was expecting it, I was still shocked to my core! Rich, dark, and full of magic and betrayal, I loved Half Sick of Shadows!

Comments

Popular Posts