The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin Review

Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Horror/Thriller/Mystery
Series: Mara Dyer, book two
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Packing even more of a punch than the first, The Evolution of Mara Dyer is frightening, thrilling, and one hell of a book.

Mara Dyer is now in a mental institution, as a result of being perceived as mentally unstable. Reluctantly, Mara begins to 'heal'--in other words, lying about what she knows to be true--in order to come home and solve the mystery from the last book, as well as unraveling new secrets about herself, Noah, and others around her. As the book goes on, Hodkin keeps pulling punches, at times sending me grasping for answers. (There were moments in the book where I was in such shock and rage I found myself yelling--literally yelling--to my husband.)

What I liked:
-The further exploration of Mara and Noah's heritages
-The constant surprises--I felt like every time I learned some new information, it hardly mattered, because I was reeling from the next revelation!
-Jude
-Noah's changes throughout the book, and his consistency to stay with Mara
-Mara's family, particularly her mother and brother Daniel in particular
-The way the author kept ratcheting up the fear, prompting me to put it down a couple times
-The surprising, scary ending--I cannot wait for the final book!

What I didn't like:
There was actually very little that I didn't enjoy. The only flaw would have to be the pacing--it went a little fast at times, but I loved it so much! If you guys love mysteries and thrillers, check out The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. It is worth it, and prepare to be scared!

Comments

Popular Posts