Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford Review

Title: Songs of Willow Frost
Author: Jamie Ford
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Historical Fiction
Series: N/A
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: My first novel by Jamie Ford, and certainly not my last, I simply loved Willow Frost--a beautiful, sumptuous, lovely tale of a mother and son finding their way back to one another--absolutely amazing and a definite favorite! Bravo!

I won this book in a giveaway on Goodreads.

William Eng is a twelve year old orphan living at the Sacred Heart orphanage. On his birthday, he begins to wonder again about his origins--and his mother, in particular. On an outing to the movies, he sees the beautiful Chinese actress, Willow Frost, onscreen, and is utterly convinced that she is his mother. Led on a journey spanning across decades, William finds that he just might be in for a happy ending.

What I enjoyed:
-The poetic, tender, achingly sad prose that peppers the novel--it was absolutely beautiful
-The pacing of the novel was good, spanning years smoothly and delicately, skillfully winding past and present together
-The bitter, desolate setting of 1920s and 30s Seattle
-William, and his desperate desire to find his family, as well as a real home, and answers about his past
-Willow, the real star of the novel for me, the beautiful, soulful young woman who does everything to try to make her dreams come true, as well as support her son--to see her struggle was incredibly heartbreaking and I was crying more often than not
-Charlotte, of course
-I really enjoyed the ending--it was lovely

What could've been better:
-There was absolutely nothing I didn't love about this finely wrought tale!

I really, really loved Songs of Willow Frost--a masterpiece! Next on deck: The Art of Falling by Kathryn Craft!

Comments

Popular Posts