My Favorite Halloween Reads.

 It's no secret that fall is my favorite season. I mean, come on! Rain, crisp air, the leaves turning, apple cider, apples in general, hot chocolate. But that is only the beginning. My absolute favorite thing about fall is Halloween. It's been my favorite holiday for as long as I can remember. And I figured, since Halloween is only four days away, I'd treat you guys to a list of my favorite spooky books! Here they are, in no particular order:

-Anna Dressed by Blood by Kendare Blake-This book is a must-read for die-hard horror fans. Gore, secrets, and spooky scenes abound! One of the things I love so much about Blake is her timing--she knows just the right way to ratchet up the horror, and then she delivers--often with something even scarier! This book is the first in a series, and its sequel is Girl of Nightmares.

-Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld-This book is more recent. I've been a huge fan of Westerfeld ever since I read his Uglies series, but this one is so much different--two stories in one! The first is the tale of Darcy Patel, a young woman who becomes an author in New York. What the treat is in this book is Darcy's book, Afterworlds, told in alternating chapters. Creepy, dark, thoughtful and thrilling, this book is a must-have for fans of Westerfeld. One of the best reads of the fall for me.

The Girl in the Well by Rin Chupeco-I received this book from Netgalley, and I really enjoyed it! Chupeco deftly mixes elements of gory horror with Japanese mythology. I also enjoyed the gore factor--it was so over the top and cinematic, paying homage to horror movies like The Ring. Very, very well done! Highly recommended!

Beautiful Creatures by Magaret Stohl and Kami Garcia-I really liked this series, though it hasn't gotten exactly rave reviews. I liked the way the authors took a classic supernatural--witches--and gave it their own unique spin. I also enjoyed its dark tone, Gothic feel, and the couple--Lena and Ethan. My reviews of this series can be found on this blog.

Unbreakable by Kami Garcia--The author of Beautiful Creatures debuted on her own. If you're a fan of creepy prose, a mystery, and dark--and I do mean dark, you hardly ever get a break!--horror stories, you will love Unbreakable, I certainly did! Wonderful, highly recommended.

The Mortal Instruments/The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare--It's no secret that I love this series, the former of which just ended this August. I love the feel of this series, as well as the main character, Clary. This series--both of them--are beautiful, and highly recommended. One of my favorites, be it Halloween or any other time of year!

Coldhearted by Melanie Matthews--Though this book is a little long (be brave, my readers--it's completely worth it!) I really enjoyed it. Edie moves to another town after her parents die. But when a ghost named Tristan Lockhart fixates on her, she discovers that her new start might come to an end sooner than she thinks.. Recommended to those who enjoy old-school horror.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte--Though this traditionally isn't a horror novel per se, I can't help but gravitate toward it as fall comes to Ohio, turning the leaves. Aside from the tragic slash way creepy relationship between Catherine and Heathcliff, I love the author's use of Gothic tone, and horror: ghosts, dark moors, dark, creepy houses. One of my favorite classics of all time.

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh--Are you a fan of Edgar Allan Poe? Who isn't?! When I saw this book, I just knew I had to have it. The first book in a trilogy, Nevermore tells the story of Isobel, who becomes Varen's partner for a literature project. As expected, the two don't exactly get along, and Varen is obsessed with Poe, with dreams. As Isobel discovers just how deep his confession runs, she is wrapped in a web of darkness and anger, one that just may be too big to get out of.. Another great Halloween book!

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin--You guys, I love this book. I love the way the story is told, and the way the horror is perfectly pitched against the romantic aspects of the book. This story is dark, twisted, and creepy, and just perfect for Halloween! Mara Dyer killed her best friend. And that's only the beginning.. (Bonus: The last book in the series comes out in November!)

Break My Heart 1000 Times by Daniel Waters: Do you like ghost stories? Maybe with a twisted villain? Well, this book is for you! I treasure this book not just because the author sent to me, but also because it is a remarkably dark, grisly tale. This ghost story is dark, creepy, and full of chills. Veronica is one of the generation who survived The Event: the dead are seen in ghost form. But the ghosts are gaining power. When Veronica and one of her classmates, Kirk, stumble upon something chilling: One of their teachers wants his dead daughter to return as a ghost. And he wants Veronica to host her, literally! I loved it so much. (His series Generation Dead is highly recommended as well, check it out!)

The Nightshade Prequel Series by Andrea Cremer, Rift and Rise--This book series is special to me because not only is it high fantasy, it is the prequel series to Nightshade. (Which I loved until Bloodrose, but that's another review, folks. Lol.) Ember Morrow wants more than to be a highborn lady--she wants to be a warrior. When she is granted her wish, she discovers her own strength. Meanwhile, a woman named Eira wants to claim her dues.. Even if it doesn't exactly make her a good girl anymore..

Perennial by Ryan Potter--I loved this story, in and of itself--I loved the way the contemporary, often gritty and frightening setting of Detroit, Michigan--nicely contrasted with the spooky feel of this novel. Alix Keener has a boy haunting her dreams--literally. But when Lewis Wilde, sexy, mysterious, and secretive, draws her into a world of demons, ghosts, lies, and dangerous drugs, she must find the secret of her psychic powers, before it's too late..



And last, but most certainly not least: Bliss, by Lauren Myracle. My husband bought this book for me in high school--I still have it on my bookshelf, and whenever I need a creepy book, this is my go-to. Bliss is a hippie's daughter, and is dropped off in the South to live with her grandmother. She goes to a boarding school and meets Sandy--a girl who has no friends. When Bliss takes her under her wing, she realizes that Sandy wants more than friends, and she wants to use Bliss to do it.. This book is easily one of the creepiest young adult novels I've ever read--I didn't sleep for a week! I really enjoyed it, and if you choose to pick it up, I know you guys will too!

What are your favorite Halloween reads? You can feel free to comment below!

Comments

Popular Posts