Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell Review

Title: Fangirl: A Novel
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary Fiction/New Adult
Series: N/A
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I want to start off this review by saying that this is my first Rainbow Rowell novel. I've heard great things about this author from all quarters, and with the publication of Carry On: The Rise and Fall of Simon Snow, I said to heck with it and had my local library hold it for me. I was a little nervous; all too often when I hear about a writer, I find that I'm not as in love with them and their books out of the gate.

I'm so happy to tell you guys that I was wrong. My doubts were rootless. Fangirl was everything I expected, and a whole lot more. How many times, and how many different ways, can I say that I loved it? It was a completely new stratosphere of contemporary young adult fiction for me. It was contemporary young adult fiction, but it was also a treatise of sorts on family, mental illness, books, the love of a fictional world.

In short? My heart is in a million pieces on the floor, and I will follow Rainbow Rowell anywhere if the rest of her novels are like this. (I'm looking at you, Eleanor and Park! But that's a whole other review.) This book was just fantastic, in almost every way. I enjoyed every single moment of it, and I'm looking forward to so much more from Rowell!

Fangirl begins with two twin sisters, Cath and Wren, and the two of them are going off to college. Cath and Wren, Wren and Cath--they love each other so much, you can practically taste it leaping off of the page. They are also growing apart--Wren wants to experience everything college has to offer, whereas shy, socially awkward and anxious Cath wants desperately to just stay the way she is.

I loved all the characters in this book--that was what really sold it for me, even though I was already invested. I felt like all the characters--Cath, Wren, Levi, Reagan, and even Simon and Baz--were real, flesh and blood people. I related to all of them so much that it hurt me. Rowell creates characters that stick to the fabric of your very soul, and I loved it.

There was also the added bonus of the story: contemporary, new adult, and fantasy fiction all smashed together, but in a way that felt so natural (despite all the obvious Harry Potter references! Lol.) This book, if you haven't read it, will steal your heart as well as your imagination. It was amazing, and one of the best of the year for me, hands down. The bottom line: A fantastic coming of age tale, with perfectly toned elements of heartwarming romance, mental illness, and more than a few nerds, Fangirl completely won me over--an amazing feat of young adult fiction! Next on deck: Carry On: The Rise and Fall of Simon Snow by Rainbow Rowell!

Comments

Popular Posts