Emma by Jane Austen Review

Title: Emma
Author: Jane Austen
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Classic/British Literature
Series: N/A
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I bought this book and reviewed it.

Prior to this point, the only Jane Austen novel is the one that has rendered her primary source of fame: Pride and Prejudice. I tried reading Emma when I first bought it last year, and found that the prose went way over my head. When my reading cycle came to my own choice, I decided to give this book a shot. And truthfully, I'm so happy I did, because it is my favorite Austen novel to date.

Emma Woodhouse, the main character of this book--where do I begin? She is, at first, mischievous, though she obviously means no harm to the oblivious loved ones around her. At first, I didn't really like her--I found her to be vapid and vain, as well as painfully foolish and meddling. But what really sold Emma, for me, was the title character's development--it was wonderful! It took me a while to get into the prose--Austen's language takes a little bit to wade into, being a classic and all. But nonetheless, this novel is my favorite of the two of Austen's works I have read.

This book is, first and foremost, a comedy of manners, returning to the integral themes of Austen's world: class, courtship, and of course, marriage! It also definitely helped that I began Emma at the beginning of the holidays. What better time to be reacquainted with the work of the one and only Jane Austen? I loved every single moment of this book--every crazy, confusing moment of it.

But unfortunately, I cannot say that I loved all the characters. I loved Emma, Mr. Knightley, Harriet, Mrs and Miss Bates, as well as Emma's father. I didn't like Mrs. Elton, nee Hawkins, nor did I much like her husband. But regardless, this book was just wonderful--one of my favorites of all time. I'm so happy that there is more Jane Austen in my future! Next on deck: Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff!

Comments

Popular Posts