Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi Review

Title: Furthermore
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Age Group: Middle Grade
Genre: Fantasy
Series: N/A, standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Tahareh Mafi had already stolen my heart with the first book in her dystopian series, Shatter Me. I haven't read the other two--I simply haven't had time. But when I found out that she had a middle grade novel coming out at the end of August, I ordered it through my local library as soon as I could. I mean, a middle grade fantasy that celebrates individuality and being your own person? Yes please, forever! (And plus, the cover. I mean, look how colorful and pretty it is! Slayed.)

Alice Alexis Queensmeadow lives in Ferenwood, a fantastic world full of color and excitement. And though Alice loves her family and her land, she longs for adventure, and for her father, her best and only friend, who has been missing for the past three years in the mysterious and treacherous land of Furthermore. Forced to team up with her worst enemy, Oliver, Alice is led on a dangerous journey through seductive, magical worlds, and finds out who she really is in the process.

What can I say? This book--I loved it. It was an engaging, hilarious fantasy that had me laughing and crying and panicking at every turn. I was immediately drawn into Alice's wondrous, magical world, where color is currency, foxes are made out of paper and can talk, and people can live in gigantic eggshells. I was absolutely enchanted--even when the danger ratcheted up with every page. The pacing was breakneck, and I found myself often laughing at the narrator, a wonderful character in its own right. And while the writing itself was beautiful and the worldbuilding wonderful, the real star of this book was Alice herself--almost entirely colorless in a world drenched with it, but loving and passionate and strong and insecure. I found like I really found a friend in her, and I was sorry to say goodbye to her and her story. The bottom line: Furthermore is one of my favorite books of 2016--a triumphant fantasy that teaches readers it's perfectly okay to be yourself, flaws and all--I loved it so much! Next on deck: The Reader by Traci Chee!

Comments

Popular Posts