The Midnight Star by Marie Lu Review

Title: The Midnight Star
Author: Marie Lu
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Young Elites, book three
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I'll be honest: This review is going to be emotional. I will do my very best not to give things away, because I don't want to spoil it all for you guys! Marie Lu completely won my heart with The Young Elites series; it was a fantasy with an ultimately different flavor that I immediately found addictive. And like with other series that I've finished this year, I really got invested in the story, as well as its characters. The Midnight Star has been sitting in my library stack for a while now, and I wasn't sure what to choose, so I just picked this and dove right in.

I'll admit that I was more than a little nervous. Sequels give me seriously bad anxiety, more often than not, due to the high payoff I'm expecting. But I'm very glad to say that Lu's final offering fully lives up to, and then exceeds, expectations. The story picks up where The Rose Society left off, delivering satisfying twists and turns and closure at all once. I loved the ending--I wasn't quite sure where it would go, though I'd made some predictions before reading it. I cried so hard at the end--I was so sad! And frankly, I still am. I'm so sad that the journey is over! It was so much fun. I know it had to end, but I'm so sorry to see it go! This book was one of my favorites of 2016, it was fantastic. All I can say is, I really want more!

The pacing was breakneck--I couldn't put it down when I was reading it, and was often distracted this week, thinking about it. I probably should've slowed down to make it last longer, but I just couldn't. It was so satisfying, and everything was neatly tied up with no loose ends. And the characters, as always, were dynamic, morally ambiguous, and fascinating. I want world-building lessons from this woman, by the way! Such a complex and well-thought out world she created--I loved the ride, and this series will be one that remains in my heart always. It was pretty much perfect, and I'm so happy. The bottom line: The final book in a highly successful fantasy series, The Midnight Star proves to be satisfying, emotional, and exciting--I'm so sad it's over! Next on deck: Tattoo Atlas by Tim Floreen! 

Comments

Popular Posts