Camp So-and-So by Mary McCoy Review

Title: Camp So-and-So
Author: Mary McCoy
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Magical Realism
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

Camp So-and-So has been sitting in my library stack for a while now, begging to be read, and when I realized that it was due today, I pushed it to the top of the stack and I got started on it right away. Frankly, until I'd come across this book in an article for recommendations, I'd never even heard of Mary McCoy. And this book; I'm really not sure how to explain it? It's definitely weird, and I just finished the book this morning, so I'm still trying to process my feelings. First, the recommendation was fantastic and intriguing, but the cover was what really sold me: a raven, crouched on a sign in a forest, staring into the camera, beautiful and foreboding all at the same time.

As I said before, this book is unusual in almost every single way. The format, the multiple points of view, the settings, the magical realism, the pacing. And it took me a little bit to get into it, but once I did, I really enjoyed it. It was a weird, wild, magical ride through Camp So-and-So, where nothing and no one is what it seems. A group of young women is summoned to the mysterious Camp-So-and-So, and they discover that this summer, up in the Appalachian mountains, will be unlike any other that they have experienced before...

This book was such a weird, wild ride. I really enjoyed it, once I got the hang of the unusual format and narration. This book was nothing less than magical realism at its very best. It wasn't perfect, though; at times, because of the unusual format and narration, and even though the characters were named through every act, it got a little bit confusing and hard to keep up with. But nonetheless, I really enjoyed this foray into magical realism. The pacing was breakneck, and I finished the book in a day and a half. I don't want to say too much about the plot, because it's so much better when you're caught by surprise! The bottom line: A fantastic, wild ride that transforms into a breakneck adventure, Camp So-and-So was a fun, thrilling book that I thoroughly enjoyed, and I can't wait to see what's next from Mary McCoy! Next on deck: The Valiant by Lesley Livingston!

Comments

Popular Posts