Before She Ignites by Jodi Meadows Review

Title: Before She Ignites
Author: Jodi Meadows
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Fallen Isles Trilogy, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Jodi Meadows stole my heart when she co-authored My Lady Jane with Brodi Ashton and Cynthia Hand, but to be honest, I hadn’t read any of her individual work. But when I found Before She Ignites through a recommendation, I was excited. First of all, the cover was gorgeous and captivated my attention immediately. And the plot. Political intrigue! Romance! Rebellion and revolution! Dragons! Jodi Meadows has penned an exciting, new twist on the fantasy genre, and I can’t wait to see what comes next in this exciting series!

Mira Minkoba is called The Hopebringer, named after the treaty that brought the cluster of islands she lives on peace. She is held in high esteem, propped on a pedestal her whole life. Her life has been a pampered, sheltered one, and though she isn’t really one for politics, her true passion lies in caring for the dragons that are protected under the treaty. But when she finds out a shocking, devastating secret about those dragons and the people who care for them and tries to speak out, she finds herself stripped of any power she ever had and thrown into The Pit, a notorious prison known for containing the islands’ most nefarious criminals. Alone, frightened, and isolated for the first time in her life, Mira must dig down deep and try to find strength she’s never needed before, for the dragons she loves so dearly and the islands she has helped shape.


This book was amazing! First of all, that cover though; it was what initially drew me to the book. I really liked the formatting of the novel, the way that both Mira’s story and the worldbuilding were told backwards. Plus, magic! Dragons! Political intrigue! Deadly secrets and rebellion! This book had everything that I want in a fantasy and more, but it put a unique spin on it. More than any of these factors, I really liked Mira and her character development. She grew from a meek, sheltered princess into a fierce warrior in her own right. And that ending though! Oh my gosh, how am I supposed to wait for the sequel?! Before She Ignites was a thrilling, beautifully written series debut that grabbed me by the throat and didn’t let go. Altan was a fascinating, complex villain that had me guessing constantly, and Mira’s budding friendship with Aaru had me cheering! I also really adored the supporting characters, especially Mira’s childhood friends and the cunning advisor that is mentioned throughout the book. Though it was slow to start, I really enjoyed it, and Mira Minkoba will forever be remembered within my heart. I can’t wait for the sequel! The bottom line: Chock full of magic, political intrigue, deadly secrets, romance and rebellion, I loved Before She Ignites, and I can’t wait for the next book in the series! Next on deck: A Poison Dark and Drowning by Jessica Cluess! 

Comments

Popular Posts