The Fates Divide by Veronica Roth Review

Title: The Fates Divide
Author: Veronica Roth
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: Carve the Mark, book two
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Veronica Roth and I—I’m not going to mince words here. We have a love/hate relationship. I read her first novel, Divergent, and loved it, but I’m still really sore about how the series ended. After that, I swore that I wasn’t going to buy another book from her. But borrowing the from the library was and is a different story, and I loved the first book in this duology. Picking up from where Carve the Mark left off, The Fates Divide was a meaty and satisfying sequel to one of my favorite books of the last year. I really, really enjoyed it, though I had sequel anxiety and it took me a little while to remember the events from the previous book. Honestly, this set of books, for me, is the favorite of her work. Shocking, beautifully written, rife with romance and political intrigue, The Fates Divide more than delivered for me. One of the best books of the year!


The Fates Divide picked up where Carve the Mark left off, and I don’t want to say too much about the plot, in case there are any readers out there that haven’t read it yet. Cyra and Akos meet again, and in this installment, things become even more dangerous than before. Roth adds two distinct new voices to the narrative, two of Akos’s siblings, Cisi and Eijeh. As I said, I don’t want to say much about the plot, but I will say that the pacing is breakneck, the romance heartbreaking and gorgeous, the political intrigue deep and dark and pretty much impossible to untangle. I really liked the continuity of it all, and the way the two books tied together. And that ending! It was so beautiful and bittersweet. But what really sold this book for me was the character development of all of the characters, but especially Cyra and Akos. I’m totally here for bomb character development, all day, every day. I loved this sequel, and this set of books is my favorite of Roth’s work so far. Absolutely amazing! The bottom line: A meaty, satisfying duology closer, I loved The Fates Divide, and it’s bittersweet that this deep, thoughtful science fiction romance is over! Next on deck: Honor Among Thieves by Rachel Caine and Ann Aguirre!

Comments

Popular Posts