The Crimes of Grindelwald: The Original Screenplay by JK Rowling Review

Title: The Crimes of Grindelwald: The Original Screenplay
Author: J.K. Rowling
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Screenplay
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

                When I heard that there was a new series of Harry Potter movies being made, I was skeptical at first, to say the least. And I have to say that I wanted to love Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, but honestly, my reaction was just lukewarm. I loved Newt, but as for the rest, I didn’t know how to feel. But I was looking forward to The Crimes of Grindelwald, if only because I was very curious about Dumbledore’s evil nemesis. I saw the movie the day after it first came to theaters, and ever since, I’ve been stewing over it. I ordered the screenplay right after I went to the movie, and it’s been sitting in my library stack ever since. As soon as I was finished with The Light Between Worlds, I pushed it to the top of my stack, as I couldn’t renew it. As it’s been lingering in my mind since I saw the movie, I was eager to read the screenplay, and I have a better perspective on the film now, even as I have more questions than answers. But nonetheless, I really enjoyed it!

                The Crimes of Grindelwald picks up where the last film left off, with Newt having to deal with the consequences of what happened in the last film. The immensely powerful Grindelwald in the American Ministry of Magic’s possession, thanks to Newt’s help. But he makes good on his threat and escapes his detainment, beginning to gather followers, most of whom have no idea what he really wants: to raise pureblood wizards up above all, most especially non-magical beings. In an effort to thwart his former friend’s plans, Albus Dumbledore asks Newt for help, once again, and Newt reluctantly agrees, unaware of the dangers that lie ahead. Lines are drawn and bonds are put to the ultimate test while the wizarding world becomes ever divided.


                I really enjoyed this screenplay; upon reading it, I realized that there were many, many things I missed; often, I had to go back and reread what I had just read. I devoured it in less than a day, and as a result, I am most eager to dive back into J.K. Rowling’s wizarding world; I’m so sad that the last movie in the trilogy won’t be coming out for a long while. The illustrations of the screenplay were beautiful and gave me hints as to what was going on in the screenplay, before I’d even started writing. As I said before, this movie answered a lot of questions that I had about the last film and the state of the wizarding world during this turbulent time, but for all my answers, I had even more questions. It’s been more than a month since seeing the film, and several days since I finished the screenplay, and I’m still reeling, and I can’t help but wonder what J.K. Rowling has in store for the last movie! If you guys have seen the movie and read the screenplay, what did you think? I know that this movie has mixed reviews, to say the least. Nonetheless, I really liked it! The bottom line: The original screenplay to The Crimes of Grindelwald, this book was fantastic, giving more depth to a world that has felt like home to me ever since I was a child, and I have so many questions! Next on deck: Fire and Heist by Sarah Beth Durst!

Comments

Popular Posts