The Secret of Clouds by Alyson Richman Review


Title: The Secrets of Clouds
Author: Alyson Richman
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

                I was at the library a few days ago, and The Secret of Clouds caught my eye, sitting on a display next to the checkout desk. The cover was colorful and intriguing, and I was curious about the title. I just finished it last night and I was blown away. This is the first book I’ve read by Richman, and it certainly won’t be the last! Compassionate, tender, and full of heart, I loved The Secrets of Clouds and I will never forget it! The end of the book had me bawling like a baby but in a good way. I was blown away by this novel.

                Katya, a gifted ballerina and her star on the rise, falls in love with Sasha, a passionate and gifted scientist, in Kiev. When tragedy strikes, the young couple emigrates to the United States. They are overjoyed when they discover that they are expecting. Years later, their son Yuri is born with a delicate heart condition. A gifted and compassionate teacher, Maggie, begins to tutor him in language arts. From this bond a friendship is formed. The boy’s insatiable curiosity and unique wisdom light a fire in Maggie, despite being associated with painful childhood memories for her. But when horror strikes the family and Maggie all over again, she must decide to sink into despair or live a full, bright life full of joy and pain.

                This book was a sucker-punch; it bowled me over and blew me away. I was swept away from the first line, absolutely enchanted. The prose was beautiful and rich, and the pacing between Katya and Sasha and Maggie’s journeys flowed smoothly. I adored Maggie and her loving, quirky family, and I also really liked Katya, Sasha, and their tenacious, intelligent son, Yuri. I loved everything about this book, and I read it in all of two days. Even when I wasn’t reading, I was constantly itching to go back to it. And that ending! It totally gutted me in the best kind of way. Even having seen it coming, it still hit me hard, and I dissolved into bittersweet tears. Full of heart, compassion, and tenderness, I loved this book; it was like a balm to my soul. Alyson Richman has become one of my new favorite authors with The Secret of Clouds! Absolutely stunning! The bottom line: Beautiful, tender, compassionate and heartfelt, I loved The Secret of Clouds! Next on deck: Wrecked by Maria Padian!

Comments

Popular Posts