Somewhere Only We Know by Maurene Goo Review


Title: Somewhere Only We Know
Author: Maurene Goo
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary Fiction/Romance
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

                Maurene Goo has long been on my TBR stack, since her first book came out. Unfortunately, I had to return both of her books to the library before I could read them. I’ve had Somewhere Only We Know in my library stack for a while, and once I realized that it had a hold on it, I pushed it to the top of my stack as soon as I was finished with Girls with Sharp Sticks. Romantic, hilarious, tender and thoughtful, this book melted my heart and then broke it, then put it back together again. It was like one of the best Korean romcoms, but in literary form. It turned out to be the perfect antidote to my emotional heaviness. It made me laugh, cry, giggle, and shriek. It reminded me of how much I love contemporary fiction. Maurene Goo has penned one of my favorite books of 2019, and I will never forget Lucky and Jack!

                What do you get when you combine a runaway Asian-American KPop star and a discontent expat living in Hong Kong? A recipe for hilarity, accidental romance, and more than a few hijinks. Lucky is the most sought-after KPop star in Asia, and despite her glowing success and the fulfillment of her dreams, something feels off. It doesn’t feel fun anymore. Discontent and hungry for an American-style burger, she wanders out of her hotel room and runs into Jack, who is taking a gap year from college and struggling to find his way and pay his bills. This chance meeting leads to all kinds of hijinks, and the two teens team up to have a dream day in Hong Kong. Will this meeting become just a memory, faded but remember fondly? Or will it lead to, dare I say it, love?

                This book; it was such a cute reminder of why I love contemporary fiction, and romance. Somewhere Only We Know was pure magic. I was immediately captivated by Lucky and Jack’s voices; they were each so distinct and unique. The pacing was breakneck; I devoured this book in half a day. It was charming, hilarious, heartwarming and tender. It was so thoughtful and well-written. I loved Jack and Lucky, and their wacky, spontaneous trip through Hong Kong. I loved that most of the characters were Asian or Asian-American; diverse books for the win, always! One of my favorite parts of the book was how Jack and Lucky were explored as people; Lucky with her career, and Jack with his indecision about his own path after high school. I laughed, I screamed, I cried, I cheered. This book was like getting a long, warm hug from a friend, or sitting under a blanket and warming up after a long day. After Girls with Sharp Sticks, it was the perfect antidote, and I will be looking into the rest of Goo’s body of work because I’m totally addicted now. I loved how this chance meeting, straight out of a rom-com, turned into true love. Somewhere Only We Know is a musical, sweet, funny romance that had me laughing, crying, and cheering; Maurene Goo has earned a special place in my heart with her third novel. (Plus, I love how each of her books are also the names of song titles! Score!) I loved every moment, and I will never forget it. Realistic, sweet, funny and thoughtful, I loved Somewhere Only We Know! Highly recommended for all ages! The bottom line: I will be screaming about this book from the rooftops; Maurene Goo has outdone herself completely with her latest novel. Full of humor, heart, joy, and love, I adored Somewhere Only We Know, and Lucky and Jack have become one of my favorite YA couples! Absolutely outstanding. Next on deck: Honor Bound by Rachel Caine and Ann Aguirre!

Comments

Popular Posts