Love a la Mode by Stephanie Kate Strohm Review

Title: Love a la Mode
Author: Stephanie Kate Strohm
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary Fiction/Romance
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

                When I found out that our book club pick for June was Love a la Mode, I was ecstatic! I’d already ordered a copy through my interlibrary loan system, and I was excited for the excuse to push it to the top of my stack. I was hopeful for The Flame and the Candle, but it wasn’t working for me. Plus, things have been crazy for me in my personal life, and I needed a break from all the dark stuff I’ve been feeling and experiencing. I figured this would fit the bill, and I was right. Romantic, mouthwatering, hilarious and as sweet and light as any pastry made in Paris, I loved Love a la Mode, and I’m beginning to have a new appreciation for the romance genre in general. It really is the perfect antidote when real life is bogging you down.
                
Henry Yi and Rosie Radeke are two teens that both love food, and they are both on their way to Paris to study at one of the best cooking schools in the world. And they just so happen to fall in love on the airplane ride over. But alas, lovely Paris isn’t all delicious food: Rosie begins to wonder if she can really cook after all, and Henry longs to run his own restaurant, just like his father, despite his mother insisting he go to college. Hilarity, hijinks, and adorable love scenes ensue, complete with misunderstandings and kisses straight out of a romcom! Honestly, I really loved it. Before I’d read Love a La Mode, I’d forgotten just how therapeutic this genre can be. I’ve been dealing with a lot of heavy stuff, and I’m finding that I’m gravitating toward happier things instead of dark ones. The pacing was breakneck, I was crying laughing throughout the book; this book is a real gem! I loved all of the characters, and their distinctive personalities. And the descriptions of the food! Oh, my goodness, I was so hungry as I was reading this book! It was all so vivid I felt as though I could taste the food. I loved the rollercoaster that was Henry and Rosie’s relationship. Love a la Mode was a great reprieve from the stresses of life, and I very much enjoyed it. It was a great example of the YA romance genre. The bottom line: Bubbly, sweet, romantic and hilarious, I loved Love a la Mode! Next on deck: Girl Gone Viral by Arvin Ahmadi!

Comments

Popular Posts