The Best Lies by Sarah Lyu Review


Title: The Best Lies
Author: Sarah Lyu
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.
                I’ve had The Best Lies on hold at my local library since before it came out; I’d heard of the premise from a few other book reviewers I follow, and I was curious, especially when I saw the pale pink cover, adorned with a sticky-sweet, pastel-hued lollipop. It was sitting on top of my library stack, and it was one book that I didn’t want to return without reading. Normally, I’m leery about mysteries and thrillers; I can usually guess what’s going to happen within fifty pages. But The Best Lies was totally unique, in that it featured a love triangle gone horrifically wrong. I loved it, even as I waited with bated breath for the ending that felt like a punch to the gut. I could see what was coming, but it still blew me away. I finished this book over a week ago, and I’m still floored. Just absolutely stunned. A tragic, heartbreaking and realistic portrayal of a close friendship gone the worst kind of sideways, The Best Lies is one of my favorite books of 2019, and I can’t wait to see what debut author Sarah Lyu has up her sleeve next!
                Remy Tsai has never really had anyone who’s really loved her. Her parents are absorbed in hurting each other, and only use her and her brother, Christian, as bargaining chips in their arguments. Overlooked, lonely, and shy, her life changes forever when she meets Elise. Elise understands her like no one else she’s ever known, and soon the two become entwined, inseparable, ride or die. But Remy begins to feel that the love that has kept her safe and sheltered for so long is suffocating her. The feeling only intensifies when Jack enters the picture, who Remy is immediately smitten with. But Remy’s new love and joy is shattered when Jack dies, and it’s Elise’s hand that held the gun that killed him. From the police station, Remy struggles to piece together the tragedy that destroyed her life…
                This book was, in a word, compelling. I love books about friendships gone wrong, especially among young women. The pacing was breakneck, and I was immediately entranced by Remy’s broken voice. I was totally spellbound by the love triangle that formed between Remy, Jack, and Elise. I knew what was coming, from the beginning, but even still, the ending landed like a punch to the chest and I felt like I was gasping for breath. This book was like watching a trainwreck, impossible to look away from. I loved watching Remy and Elise’s relationship grow from something almost romantic and charged to terribly fraught, and so frayed that it ended in a horrible, unspeakable tragedy. I felt sorry for everyone involved in this book; to be frank, most of them were miserable. This book was so very sad, but I’m glad that I read it; it’s a great example of toxic relationships and behavior. Elise, in particular, was a study in sadness and abusive behavior, both giving and receiving. The Best Lies is one of my favorite books of 2019; Sarah Lyu did a fantastic job in this punchy, timely thriller with a sticky-sweet, toxic love triangle! The bottom line: Vivid, dark, and utterly painful, I loved The Best Lies; Sarah Lyu has penned a compelling, necessary thriller! Fantastic! Next on deck: In Other Lands by Sarah Rees Brennan!

Comments

Popular Posts