Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir Review


Title: Gideon the Ninth
Author: Tamsyn Muir
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Horror/Science Fiction
Series: The Locked Tomb, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

                This book came to my attention when some of my favorite bloggers on Book Riot and other websites began talking about it, and I just couldn’t resist ordering it from my local library. I mean: lesbian necromancers! In space! That’s honestly all I needed to hear. This book is Tamsyn Muir’s first, and I’m so excited for the next book in The Locked Tomb series! Strange, bloody, darkly hilarious and unique, I loved this scary, creepy series debut; I will never forget Gideon of the Ninth House, nor her necromancer partner/enemy/best friend. I just finished this book two days ago, and I’m still stunned; I needed some time to sit with my thoughts to get them in order. This book is unlike anything I’ve ever read; I’m still not quite sure how to define it. Nonetheless, despite an extensive cast of characters, I loved it; I was alternately laughing, crying, screaming, and tearing my hair out! I can’t wait for the next book!

                Gideon Nav is an orphan, a foundling taken in by the Ninth House of the Undead Lord and God King. She’s stuck with a prickly, dour necromancer for whom she has nourished a secret hatred her whole life. When she is thrust into the spotlight after the untimely departure of her house’s cavalier, Gideon and her charge are pushed into a deadly contest, and she must use all of her wits and strength to make it through the deadly court of the Undead alive. But when fellow competitors begin turning up dead, she begins to dig, and realizes that some secrets are better left buried…

                This book was unlike any other I’ve ever read before; I didn’t really know what to make of it at first. I mean, lesbian necromancers in space?! Honestly, that was all I needed to hear. The pacing was great, and I was immediately sucked in. Unfortunately, at times it was hard to picture the setting, just because it was so extensive, and the list of characters was so vast that it got confusing, really quickly; I was constantly referring back to the dramatis personae at the beginning of the book. Nonetheless, this book had all the things I loved: enemies to lovers romance, wonderful worldbuilding, dark magic, political intrigue, heart and humor and twists and turns galore! Despite the little flaws of this book, I’m fully invested in this series, and I cannot wait for the sequel! Gideon is a fantastic antihero, full of bite, spite, and spunk, and I loved her relationship with the other characters, especially her necromancer, who she’s known since childhood. And that ending! Oh, my goodness, I need the next book, right now! The bottom line: A rich, creepy science fiction horror mashup, I loved Gideon the Ninth, and I can’t wait for the next book in this wonderful series! Next on deck: Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell!

Comments

Popular Posts