Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me by Mariko Tamaki Review


Title: Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me
Author: Mariko Tamaki and Rosemary Valero O’Connell
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Graphic Novel
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

                I went to my book club last month and saw this book sitting on the new book display; I was immediately intrigued by the color palette and the fluid, emotional way that the pictures were drawn. I took it home with me that night and it’s been sitting at the top of my library stack ever since. I finished Monster, She Wrote and tried to read Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo, and ended up not finishing it. So, I moved on to Laura Dean and devoured it in less than a day. This graphic novel was beautifully drawn, and the story broke my heart. I loved it so much; Laura Dean is one of my favorite books of 2019, and I can’t wait to see more from this dynamic duo! A fantastic, fresh graphic novel that won my heart completely! Highly recommended to all!

                Laura Dean, the most popular girl at school, was Frederica ‘Freddy’ Riley’s dream girl. She’s funny, sweet, beautiful, and sexy. The only problem is she’s fickle and mean, and is not the greatest girlfriend. Reeling from their latest breakup, Freddy’s best friend, Doodle, takes her to a psychic, mysteriously called The Seek-Her. Seek-Her leaves Freddy with advice, even though Freddy doesn’t want to hear it: break up with Laura Dean. But when LD spins back into her life with all the force of a hurricane, Freddy begins to wonder if she is the problem. Maybe Laura Dean is only part of it, Freddy wonders as she loses friends left and right. Luckily, though, there are new friends, which she desperately needs, and the insight of an advice columnist to get her through the throes of teenage love. With Laura Dean, Tamaki and Valero-O’Connell asks us to consider what happens when we quit the toxic relationships we crave and embrace the healthy ones we need instead.

                I loved, loved, loved this graphic novel! The art style was what grabbed me initially, but it was the perfect antidote to the nasty feelings I had after the disappointment of Ninth House. The color palette was gorgeous, and I loved the way that the pictures were drawn. But I was instantly captivated by Freddy’s honest, sweet voice. The pacing was breakneck; I finished this book in a few short hours. I loved all of the characters, especially Freddy, her friends, and Laura. But I think my favorite part of this graphic novel was the way that it dealt with real issues, especially toxic relationships. The relationship between Freddy and Laura felt really familiar, with all of its ups and downs. I related to this because when I was younger, I had a lot of friends who weren’t really friends, and it brought back a lot of mixed, bittersweet feelings. I absolutely adored this graphic novel, even though there were several times when I had to put it down to cry. The bottom line: Rich, realistic, and honest, I loved Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me! Next on deck: Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys!

Comments

Popular Posts