The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab Review

Title: The Invisible Life of Addie Larue 

Author: V.E. Schwab 

Age Group: Adult 

Genre: Fantasy 

Series: Standalone 

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

 

I bought a copy of this book and reviewed it. 


V.E. Schwab is one of my favorite authors, so I asked my husband to buy me this book for our anniversary last month. I just finished it on Saturday and I can’t get it out of my head; honestly, I’m still stunned. This book might be one of her best yet, because Addie Larue has taken permanent residence inside my head. I can’t even think about reading another book because I’m so shell-shocked. It’s been three days and I still can’t get this delicious, intricate puzzle box of a I story out of my head. This might be one of my very favorites of Schwab’s work, as I’m still reeling from the book’s shocking conclusion. I loved every beautiful, bittersweet moment of this novel, though I’m sad that this book just stands on its own. Easily one of my very favorite books of 2020, and I’m so thankful I bought a copy so I can return to it someday. 


Adeline Larue knows not to call on the gods that come out after dark, but she is desperate to live her own life, to buck convention and live as she wishes. In France, 1714, she makes a bargain with an ancient, unknowable god to live forever, but she is cursed to be forgotten by everyone she meets. So begins Addie’s epic tale, and everything changes when she meets a boy named Henry, who can somehow remember her, 300 years later. Adeline LaRue may be cursed to be forgotten by everyone she meets, but I can promise you all that I will never forget her! 


This book—I finished it three days ago and Addie has still taken up rent-free space in my mind, taunting me. The prose of this novel was absolutely beautiful, and I was immediately spellbound. I devoured this gorgeous, thoughtful novel. This might be one of V.E. Schwab’s best pieces of work. I was immediately captivated by Addie’s story, full of desperation, fear, rage, and exotic locales. I’m looking forward to reading it again. I love Faustian bargain stories, but this one was totally unique. I loved it. I only wish that this book wasn’t a standalone; the ending felt so open-ended! I wish there was more! Nonetheless, this book was intriguing, beautifully written, surprising, and I’m still an emotional wreck over it. I loved every tearful, emotional moment. This book ripped my heart out and stomped on it, then stitched it back together in the best way. Addie LaRue may be cursed to be forgotten by all she meets, but I know she will stay with me for a long time. The bottom line: Beautifully written, gorgeously imagined, I loved The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue—this book is definitely one of my favorites of 2020! Next on deck: Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas!

Comments

Popular Posts