Ghost Wood Song by Erica Waters Review

 Title: Ghost Wood Song 

Author: Erica Waters

 

Age Group: Teen/Young Adult 


Genre: Horror 


Series: Standalone 


Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars 


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it. 


First of all, I’d like to apologize for being gone so long, and happy holidays to everyone who celebrates! Aren’t you guys glad that 2020 is almost over? I definitely am! This year has been a freaking garbage fire. But we made it! I’ve missed you all. I’ve been majorly, majorly behind, so here’s my attempt to catch up! I hope you’ve all been well and been reading some great books! I’m keeping my fingers crossed that 2021 will be a better year for everyone. It’s okay to not be okay; this year has been really hard for all of us. In the meantime, I’m trying to catch up! Okay, here goes! 


Shady Grove has inherited her love of music from her late father, as well as the unnerving ability to awaken the ghosts of the dead. Using her dad’s fiddle, she can thin the veils between the living and the dead. When her stepfather turns up murdered and her brother is thrown in jail for the crime, Shady realizes she must use the dark power she inherited to unearth the secrets that hide in the shadows, even within her own family. But will unlocking the power of her father’s fiddle give her the answers she so desperately seeks? Or will it only pull her under, just like it did with her father? 


Ghost Wood Song may be one of my very favorite books of 2020; I love ghost stories, but this one was distinctly, deliciously different. I loved Shady’s rich, sad voice, and I was absolutely entranced. The pacing was breakneck, and I loved this dark, chilling mystery, haunted by ghosts both real and imagined. I also was haunted by the setting, muggy, swampy Florida, with its heavy air and murky waters. I loved the dark, foreboding tone of the prose, and the way that there was a mystery with major supernatural elements. I also adored the way that the dreaded young adult love triangle was handled. I read this book within three days, and I loved it so much. I’m looking forward to seeing what promising debut author Erica Waters has up her sleeve next! The bottom line: As dark and haunting as a fiddle ballad, Ghost Wood Song stole my heart and breath and terrified me all at once! Next on deck: Horrid by Katrina Leno!

Comments

Popular Posts