Splinters of Scarlet by Emily Bain Murphy Review

 Title: Splinters of Scarlet 


Author: Emily Bain Murphy 


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult 


Genre: Fantasy/Mystery 


Series: Standalone 


Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars 


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it. 


I loved Emily Bain Murphy’s debut novel, The Disappearances, and so, when her second novel was announced, I was so excited. As soon as I was finished with Horrid, I started it, and honestly, this book might be my favorite of hers. I was expecting a fantasy, but this was unique in that it had a mystery at its heart. Gorgeously rendered and beautifully written, I loved Splinters of Scarlet! Chock full of magic, danger, political intrigue, and dark surprises, this sophomore novel is a magical, dangerous foray into a world where nothing is as it seems and no one can be trusted...


Marit can wield magic, like many people in 19th century Denmark, and she uses it as sparingly as she possibly can, because overuse can lead to the sickness called The Firn. It builds up within a user’s veins like ice, eventually killing the magic user after overuse. After seeing her sister die of it and her father dying in the mines for the rich families of Denmark, she knows to stay hidden in the shadows. When a fellow orphan who Marit views as a little sister, Eve, is adopted by the wealthy Helene Vestergaard, Marit will do anything to remain by her side. Using her thread magic to become a seamstress for the wealthy older woman, Marit finds herself plunged into a world of decadence and dangerous secrets. But Eve isn’t the only reason that she wants to get close to the family. Her father died in a mysterious mining accident, and something in her says that it wasn’t an accident at all. As she begins to investigate, Marit finds a conspiracy that reaches all the way up to the royalty of Denmark, and there are so people willing to kill to keep their secrets hidden... 


I loved, loved, loved this book, so much! I love the way its genre bent from historical fiction, fantasy, and mystery, and back again. The pacing was breakneck, and I was absolutely spellbound by Marit’s voice. The setting of 19th century Denmark was palpable, and I loved the way that Marit bonded with Eve, Joseph, and all of the other members of the Vestergaard household. I also adored the way that political intrigue played out, especially in the second half of the novel. The dark, dangerous promise of magic, of upheaval, of deadly ambition was prevalent throughout, and I loved watching the mystery unfold before Marit’s eyes. She was a really inspiring heroine, and I really liked her and her love for Eve, as well as the fear regarding her magic and the outside world. I also loved Philip’s point of view, especially toward the end; they were two different narrators with very distinct personalities and motives. Emily Bain Murphy has completely outdone herself in this rich second offering! I liked it very much, definitely one of my favorite books of 2020. One of my favorite fairy tale retellings ever. If anything, I wish that there had been a map somewhere so I could actually have an idea of the geography, but that’s but a small quibble. The bottom line: Well-written, emotional, and tautly plotted all at once, I loved Splinters of Scarlet! Next on deck: Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers by Deborah Heiligman! 

Comments

Popular Posts