Legendborn by Tracy Deonn Review

 Title: Legendborn 

Author: Tracy Deonn 


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult 


Genre: Fantasy 


Series: Legendborn, book one 


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars 


I received this book as a Christmas gift from one of my best friends; thank you so much, Jade! 


I received my friend Jade in the Discord server in our Christmas exchange, and as soon as I was finished with Boyfriend Material, I dove in, not entirely sure what to expect. I knew the basic premise—King Arthur—and was immediately intrigued. I mean, I’ve been obsessed with King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, a bygone era full of chivalry, blood, and dangerous secrets, since I first learned to read. So, when I found this book, I wanted it immediately, and thanks to Jade, I have a copy for my home library! Legendborn might be one of my favorite books of 2021; I loved the way it took this classic legend and breathed fresh life and history into it. I loved every original, inspired and emotional moment of this breathtaking series debut! With vibes of Cassandra Clare, J.K. Rowling, and Tamora Pierce, I absolutely adored Legendborn; easily one of my favorite books of 2020 and probably of all time. This is the King Arthur story that little girl me was waiting her whole life for; even so, this is 2020! Representation matters now more than ever before, and this book delivered in spades. Legendborn was a gorgeous and bloody fantasy that dealt with the deepest, insidious darkness that engulfs America to this day: racism. This felt especially topical given the current political climate in our country. I loved every bright, sharp moment of this fantasy-adventure hybrid. I will be eagerly awaiting the sequel! 


Bree Matthews’s life has been divided into two parts: Before her beloved mother passed, and after. Her father, worried about her and desperate to see a change in his only child, sends her to college in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Once there, Bree begins to find normalcy in her new routine, away from home. But things swiftly grow complicated when she sees a monster attacking a fellow student in the courtyard of their new home. Convinced she is wholly losing her mind, she finds herself entangled in a dark, dangerous web of secrets, lies, and blood. Will she figure out what her mother gave her life to hide? Will she choose The Order, her family, or perhaps even herself? 


I loved, loved, loved this book, and honestly, until the Discord server decided on it, I was putting it off because I wasn’t certain of the hype surrounding it. But as soon as I was done with Boyfriend Material, I decided to just say screw it and dive in. I finished this book in almost a week; I loved it so much. I loved the way it took a classic fantasy trope and actually rooted it within the dark areas of America’s past: slavery. It made it so relevant! I was captivated by Bree’s voice, fresh and sharp and unapologetically badass. This book was thick and chunky, but it went by really fast! Legendborn is easily one of my favorite fantasy novels of 2020 and I’m so excited for the sequel! I also adored the other characters at UN of Chapel Hill: Evan, Tor, Nick, Selwyn (he was my favorite!), Vaughn and the other students. I adored the way that it took racism and its microaggressions and put them within the limelight. I also loved Bree and all of her friends, as well as her journey, and the question that’s haunted her for years: Why did her mother die? Who did it? And is Bree meant to be a Legendborn, or perhaps something even more astonishing? I adored this book and I cannot wait for the sequel! Next on deck: Yolk by Mary H.K. Choi and City of Villains by Estelle Laure!

Comments

Popular Posts