An Arrow to the Moon by Emily X.R. Pan Review

 Title: An Arrow to the Moon

Author: Emily X.R. Pan


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult


Genre: Magical Realism


Series: Standalone


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.


Trigger Warnings: Emotional abuse, physical abuse, infidelity, stalking. If any of these topics trigger you, I would suggest not reading this book. Your mental health always matters!


Emily X.R. Pan stole my heart with her first novel, The Astonishing Color of After. So, when I heard that she’d written a new book infused with elements from Chinese myth and Romeo and Juliet, I was intrigued. It had been sitting at the top of my library stack for ages, and I wanted to read it before I had to return it, so as soon as I finished This Poison Heart, I dove in. This book was beautifully written, heartfelt, and more than a little bittersweet; by the end of the novel, I was full-on bawling like a baby! A gorgeous, delicious modern fairy tale, An Arrow to the Moon is one of my favorite books I’ve read in 2022! Breathtaking, stunning, and lush with detail, I adored every last word. I finished this book almost a month ago and haven’t been able to stop thinking about it.


Luna Chang and Hunter Yee’s paths have not crossed; their parents have nursed a fierce rivalry since shortly after they were born. But when a hole appears in the middle of their small town, they are drawn together, irresistibly. But danger lurks just around the corner. Fireflies gather around Luna, even in the dead of winter, and Hunter has always had an uncanny sense of aim. But darkness lurks in the shadows of their lives, even as they navigate first love together. Dangerous secrets threaten to end their love before it even starts. Will Hunter and Luna’s love story have a happy ending? Or will they be separated by outside forces forever?


I loved this book so much; I loved The Astonishing Color of After, but I think An Arrow to the Moon is my new favorite! I was immediately entranced by the beautiful writing and the breakneck pacing; I adored the way the book was narrated by a variety of different characters. I devoured this book in less than three days; I loved it so much! This modern fairy tale and love story swept me off of my feet and stole my heart. By the end of it, I was full-on bawling like a baby. I’ll admit that I had to put the book down several times; the mental and emotional abuse was very triggering. Nonetheless, this beautifully rendered love story captivated me! One of my favorite reads of 2022! The bottom line: Gorgeous, heartbreaking, and a stunning mix of modern times with elements of Chinese mythology, I loved An Arrow to the Moon! Next on deck: The Court of Miracles by Kester Grant!

Comments

Popular Posts