Beyond the Wand by Tom Felton Review

 Title: Beyond the Wand: The Magic and Mayhem of Growing Up A Wizard

Author: Tom Felton


Age Group: Adult


Genre: Nonfiction, Autobiography/Memoir


Series: Standalone


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Trigger Warnings: Drinking, drug use. If any of these topics trigger you, I would suggest not reading this book. Your mental health always matters!


I’ve always been obsessed with Harry Potter, from the time I was a child; it is one of the first series I ever read as a child. So when I found out about Tom Felton’s new book, the actor known for the infamous, sneering Slytherin Draco Malfoy, I was so excited. I pushed it up to the top of my library stack as soon as I was finished with Ninth House. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I got warmth, honesty, and a whole lot of humor. I laughed, I cried, and I was torn apart and made whole once more. Autobiographies and the like always make me nervous; often they can come across as trite or sentimental, or false or pretentious. Felton avoids this trap by never taking himself seriously. Tom is Draco Malfoy’s complete opposite, raised by a perfectly normal and loving family. He explains his career as an actor, and how his family wholeheartedly supported him in that endeavor. This book is one of my favorites of 2023, and I’m so glad I read it!


Tom Felton’s name is synonymous with the villain; he is most known for playing one of the minor antagonists of the Harry Potter series, the sneering and spoiled Draco Malfoy. Tom himself, however, is the complete opposite. Funny, honest, warm, and full of appreciation for his life and the blessings he was awarded for it, he recounts his life with refreshing honesty, and not just about the Harry Potter films that launched him into superstardom. He speaks of the people in his life with pure love, and honestly, this book was so refreshing. Biographies and memoirs make me leery; all too often, they come across as preachy or sentimental. But Tom casts light on all the different parts of himself, all of his mistakes, shortcomings, and successes. I really liked this book; it might be one of my favorites of 2023. I hope Tom writes more about his experiences because I loved this behind the scenes at his life, and the movies he starred in. I was especially moved by his struggle for authenticity and for joy in the wake of mental illness. I wish everyone was as honest about their mental health struggles. Full of joy, honesty, and more than a dollop of humor, I absolutely adored Beyond The Wand!

Comments

Popular Posts