The Ogress and The Orphans by Kelly Barnhill Review

 Title: The Ogress and The Orphans

Author: Kelly Barnhill

Age Group: Middle Grade

Genre: Fantasy

Series: Standalone

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.


Kelly Barnhill is one of my favorite authors; I adored her short stories and one of her adult novels, When Women Were Dragons. I was browsing through the children’s section of my local library a few months ago, and I spotted this title. I was enchanted by the cover, but when I read the synopsis, I was totally sold. I just finished it the other night and I can’t stop thinking about it. A tender and wry fairy tale, The Ogress and the Orphan isn’t just a story for children; this should be required reading for everyone! This didn’t feel like just one story, it felt like several wrapped up within one another. I was enchanted from the first few lines. This is definitely my favorite Barnhill book and one of my favorite books of 2024!


The town of Stone-in-the-Glen used to be lovely, neighborly, and a wonderful place to live. That is, until the fire burned down the library. Until the floods that ruined the park, the school, and swept away with it everybody’s neighborliness. All of the townspeople depend on The Mayor, a charming, dazzling fellow who solves everyone’s problems. And then there is The Ogress, a kind and gentle person who is loved by the crows, but whom the townspeople do not trust. The orphans of Orphan House, as well as their caretakers, soon take notice of the mysterious benefactor in their town, and decide to solve the mystery themselves. But will it be enough? And just who–or what–is the true villain in Stone-in-the-Glen?


This book felt like a warm hug, like sitting in front of the fire with an old friend and listening to them tell the story. I was immediately entranced from the first line. I loved the narration, but this book shone because of its characters. I loved the orphans, I loved The Ogress, I even loved the people of Stone-of-the-Glen. I laughed, I cried, I cheered. A warm tale of friendship, neighbors good and bad, and lots and lots of delicious food I truly wanted to have, The Ogress and The Orphans was a wonderful story, and I will never forget it! The bottom line: Warm, gently funny, and full of characters that feel real, I adored this book!

Comments

Popular Posts