The Elephant Keepers' Children by Peter Hoeg Review

Title: The Elephant Keepers' Children
Author: Peter Hoeg
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Literary fiction
Star Rating:  1 out of 5
The bottom line: I would not recommend this novel. It was overwrought and too complicated.

I regret to say that I didn't really enjoy this book, The Elephant Keepers' Children by Peter Hoeg, that I won on Goodreads, and I'll tell you why:

-the prose was overwrought and overcomplicated, and it made me feel like I was stupid, and keep in mind, the narrator is a fourteen year old boy, and shouldn't sound like he is a Rhodes scholar
-there are far too many characters to keep track of and I kept getting confused
-because the prose was so confusing to me, I barely even absorbed what was happening
-I honestly felt the author was trying to purposely use huge words to sound intelligent, when in reality he didn't have to do such a thing
-it came across to me as a total condemnation of religion and society that depends on 'a higher power

I really tried to give it a chance, but it just wasn't for me.

Comments

Popular Posts