Cinder by Marissa Meyer Review

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Lunar Chronicles, book one
Star Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: I liked this novel. It wasn't hard to get into, but it seemed like I was waiting for something more--perhaps I'll learn more in its sequel, Scarlet.

Cinder Lihn is a cyborg mechanic, leaving with her cruel stepmother and stepsisters. Forced to do everything Adri doesn't want her to do, and she is hated by her and her stepsister Pearl: her two shining lights are her stepsister, Peony, and her mechanic both in New Beijing, a futuristic society where cyborgs are considered less than normal humans. Soon Cinder finds herself locked in a battle for freedom, and she discovers the secrets of her past.

What I liked:
-Cinder was an amazing heroine I rooted for throughout the entire novel
-New Beijing and its culture, as well as Luna and its customs--the worldbuilding in this series is awesome
-Peony
-Prince Kai
-the emphasis on Asian culture
-how believable everything was
-The ending left me wanting more, anxious to get my hands on Scarlet, which was just released on Tuesday
-Queen Levana
-Dr. Erland

What I didn't like:
-Adri
-Pearl
-The way that nothing was given on Cinder's past until almost the end of the novel
-There was just something missing for me, I hope that Scarlet gives more information on New Beijing and everything going on

I liked this novel, though I didn't absolutely love it. But anyone who loves steampunk, futuristic novels and fairy tale reinterpretations will like this book, I believe. Next up: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi!

Comments

Popular Posts