Zeroes by Scott Westerfeld Review

Title: Zeroes
Author(s): Scott Westerfeld, Margo Lanagan, and Deborah Biancotti
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Zeroes, book one
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I'll start out this review with a little bit of personal history: Ever since I was a kid, I've been fascinated by the idea of superheroes. It didn't really matter which one, or which company created them: Batman, Spiderman, Superman were the chief three, until I grew older. I just find them so fascinating, even now, because it asks a question that is timeless: What makes a hero, and also a villain? I was drawn to this book immediately; it had been resting in my library stack for a while.

And I'm so happy that I read it. This book is one of my favorites of 2015. A big claim, I know, but it was just fantastic! A diverse cast of characters, all with complex morals, and powers ripped straight from the comics, only better! Breakneck pacing! Multiple points of view! (I'm such a diehard for this kind of story now, it adds so much depth.) Humor, excitement, and twists!

This book was just so good.

Zeroes begins with five teenagers, all of whom have interesting and plausible powers, split into their own lives after one of them breaks them up. It almost goes backwards in that sense, but I enjoyed it. Each character was unique and oddly lovable, with their own issues and strengths. I really felt like these characters were real, and that's one of the reasons I'm so sold on this novel. I can't wait for book two! I don't want to give away much of the plot--part of the beauty of this book is going into it blind.

I also love that this novel, though mammoth, (it clocks in at over 500 pages, but it goes by quickly!) was a collaboration from three titans in the young adult fiction industry: Scott Westerfeld, Margo Lanagan, and Deborah Biancotti. (Can this series never end? Please? It was just so good!) I've read a lot of superhero stories, but none like this. It was absolute perfection.

The only thing that I didn't like was that sometimes the drama between the characters bogged down the action, but it wasn't enough to make me put the book down--it was still one of the best books I've read this whole year. The bottom line: A triumph of an urban fantasy novel delivered from three titans of young adult fiction, Zeroes is a must-read for action and adventure lovers, as well as readers who have been craving more diverse characters--one of the best books of the year! Amazing! Next on deck: The Boleyn Bride by Brandy Purdy!

Comments

Popular Posts