Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare Review

Title: Lady Midnight
Author: Cassandra Clare
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Dark Artifices, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I'll be honest: I've wanted to get my hands on this book since before it had a cover, before it even had a title. I wanted this book that badly. The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices are two of my all time favorite series, and so naturally, when I heard about Lady Midnight, I just had to get my hands on it. Unable to buy it myself, I did the next best thing and went to my local library and put a hold on it. I'd been waiting for this book for more than four months, and to say I was nervous was an understatement--hype scares me, even from authors I dearly love.

I'm so happy to tell you guys that I had no reason at all to worry--Clare pulls out all the stops with this book, delivering in every way imaginable: breakneck pacing and action, wonderful, three-dimensional characters, both new and familiar, intriguing puzzles, and, of course, heartbreaking romance that still manages to make a reader hot under the collar! (Though, to be fair, I'm not exactly the most impartial reviewer when it comes to this lady's books, so feel free to take my words with a grain of salt!)

I don't want to give anything away about the plot--I don't want to ruin the book entirely for you guys--but Lady Midnight takes place six years after the events in City of Heavenly Fire, picking up in Los Angeles instead of Manhattan. Emma Carstairs is all grown up, with Julian Blackthorn as her parabatai. Desperate to find out why exactly her parents were murdered, she discovers that trouble is never far away, and love might be right where you least expect it, and comes in many different forms.

As I said before, I loved this book--every single heartbreaking, terrifying moment of it. Every single page. I was drawn in immediately, and I couldn't put it down--I literally had to make myself walk away from the novel at points, because not only is it hugely long, but it is packed to the brim with every single treat a reader could want--magic, secrets, romance, action, and of course, your favorite characters from Clare's other series (though my lips are sealed as to who they are!) The bottom line: Lady Midnight was one of my favorite books of the year, and probably of all time! I loved it, and all I can say now is that I need the sequel--I can't wait for the next installment in Cassandra Clare's new series! Next on deck: A Tyranny of Petticoats, edited by Jessica Spotswood!

Comments

Popular Posts