Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke Review

Title: Wink Poppy Midnight
Author: April Genevieve Tucholke
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Mystery/Magical Realism
Series: N/A, standalone
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I've wanted to read April Genevieve Tucholke's work ever since her debut novel, Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, came out a few years ago. I hadn't got a chance to read her first two novels yet, so when I heard that Wink Poppy Midnight was in our local library's system, I reserved it, impatiently waiting for the book to make its way to me. What really sold me was the plot, and also the cover. (I mean, just look at it! Spiderwebs and strawberries and owls and snakes...) But though my hopes were high, things were different for me when I started reading the actual story.

Not to say that this book was bad--quite the contrary, in fact. The pacing was breakneck--I was sucked into the dangerous, frightening love triangle immediately, and the writing--God, the prose was gorgeous! I was completely spellbound. It also helped that this novel was told in three different, unique voices: bright, soft, imaginative Wink, wild, reckless, beautiful Poppy, and the vulnerable, sweet, bookish Midnight, the boy thrust in the middle. I loved every bit of this book, from beginning to end, if we're just going by the prose.

I didn't like Poppy, though. God, for most of the book, I hated her. She just seemed like the typical high school mean girl. (I kept picturing Regina George in my head--oops!) She grew on me by the end of the book, but through most of it I was just rolling my eyes through her parts. All things considered, though, I liked that each character was unique and exciting and 'not all one thing'.

But what really sold me was the constant twists and turns. I read most of this book last night in the tub, and I was frantically turning pages, sucked into the characters' crazy, and often emotional, dynamic. I loved, loved, loved the prose, the pacing, and the twists (especially the kicker at the end! I didn't see that one coming!) This is the first book I've ever read by April Genevieve Tucholke, and it most definitely won't be my last! The bottom line: A lush love story with secrets and a mystery tucked away in its dark heart, Wink Poppy Midnight is one of my favorite books of 2016! Absolutely amazing, despite its flaws! Next on deck: Always Watching by Chevy Stevens!

Comments

Popular Posts