Poison's Kiss by Breeana Shields Review

Title: Poison's Kiss
Author: Breeana Shields
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Poison's Kiss, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

I'd heard about Poison's Kiss as I usually find out about the books I read: through an online article. But to be honest, I was intrigued. First of all, that gorgeous, bright green snake on the cover, as well as the pretty, Indian ornamentation. But it was what was inside of the book that really captured my imagination: Indian mythology, given a unique, exciting spin, forbidden love, political intrigue, betrayal! This book was absolutely fantastic. The world-building needed a little work, but nonetheless, this series debut was solid, beautiful, and exciting--I can't wait for the sequel!

Marinda is a visha kanya, or a poison maiden. Immune from the toxic effects of poison from birth, she is an extremely valuable weapon for a secretive, powerful sect. But Marinda is tired, worn down from a life of senseless killing. Unfortunately, those in power over her have her sickly little brother, Mani, for leverage. When she meets a mysterious, kind boy named Deven, she begins to hope, against her will, for her own freedom. When she discovers that the myths of her country may be more true than she ever realized, she is thrown into webs of political intrigue, betrayal, and she must decide who she can trust, or she may not escape unscathed...

I really, really liked this book! One of the things that initially drew me to this book was its diversity. (Diverse books for the win, forever!) I loved the way the author took Indian mythology and spun it to make an original world, even if the world-building didn't quite make sense to me. That was really the only thing about this book that wasn't flawless. But more important, I really enjoyed the story, and its characters. Marinda was amazing; I really loved and sympathized with her, especially with how much she loved and adored Mani. I loved the way, too, that she was fierce and independent, a young woman with her own longings and desires. The chemistry between her and Deven was electric, a slow-burn romance that really paid off in the end! I'm so, so happy that this book is going to have a sequel! Yay! I'm so happy about it! This book was wonderful: beautifully written, romantic, heartbreaking. Definitely one of my favorite books of the new year. The bottom line: A feast for the senses, full of romance, magic, and a bevy of frightening villains, Poison's Kiss is a smashing series starter that I adore! One of my favorite books of 2017 for sure! Next on deck: The Hired Girl by Laura Amy Schlitz!

Comments

Popular Posts