The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas Review

Title: The Hate U Give
Author: Angie Thomas
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

I've heard so much delicious, wonderful buzz among the book lovers I know, online and in real life, about Angie Thomas's debut novel, The Hate U Give. The title was taken from a Tupac song, and the novel itself was inspired by the many shootings that have taken place in America. That, honestly, was the reason that I wanted to read it in the first place. This is a huge issue, for all Americans, whether they be black or white. It made me laugh, I cried through most of it, and it completely opened my eyes to a reality that I have only recently began to understand the repercussions of. The Hate U Give made me ashamed, outraged, inspired, and enlightened all at once. It made me think, and it is a book I will never forget. Angie Thomas has cemented a place in my heart and on my bookshelf.

Starr Carter is a young woman with one foot in two different worlds: She is, at once, a girl from the ghetto, the rough but familiar and beloved neighborhood, and the token black girl, cool by default and turning a blind eye to most of her white friends' racism. Balancing two different versions of herself is exhausting her, but her already fractured world shatters completely when her best friend is shot, right in front of her, by white a police officer. Terrified, outraged, reeling from the loss, Starr must decide to raise her voice and speak out, because she's the only one who can tell the world what really happened...

This book was hard to get through. It was provocative, eye-opening, well-written, beautiful in its unflinching honesty about racism, and what further evil stems from it. I cried through a lot of it, and I felt myself feeling outraged, woefully ignorant, ashamed. This book got under my skin and in my head, made me ill and heartsick and angry. It felt like a punch to the gut and a kick from behind, and I loved it all the more for it. The relevance of this book; I cannot express it enough. Part of the reason that the book hurt so much was because it was ripped from the headlines. And it really made me think of racism, the all too often casualty of it, and I really feel like I'm more aware. All I know is, everyone needs to read this book. It's scary, emotional, real and raw, but it's worth the journey! What an amazing, timely book! The bottom line: A fantastically written novel with a premise ripped from the headlines, I loved The Hate U Give--this should be required reading for everyone! Next on deck: The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco!

Comments

Popular Posts